• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

abbey street...hockley

Thanks for posting the pic Lyn..that was just as you went into Abbey St from Lodge Road..I was on Carl Chinn's Birmingham today and was really surprised the streets that were still there in the late 60's...if only we had the interest then that we have now..

hi maggie..glad you like it..thought you may know it...carl chinns site is brillient....i am always logging on as its being updated by the day....

wish i had a penny for evey time i said i wished id had the interest then...never mind at least we have the pictures.....

lyn

hi guys
yes i remember abbey st very well and that emediate area that was my
area i know very well and its natives of the past era
where the car place stood they built some houses and my friends sister susan allen
moved into there when they first built those few moderen ones on that site
regarding the other oldhouses there i had a good friend by thename of michael
callader and the coles family and the nottingams whom did move into park rd
sue moved up there from spring hill and her family live in crabtree rd and knightstone ave which is the top of pitsford st ajoing crab tree rd
and yes they was god pictures best wishes astonian ;;;

astonian..thank you for your memories of abbey street...

have a nice day....

lyn

Hi I can not see the picture for some reason, which is a shame because my nan and my mother lived at 51 and i think 67 before that I know they are not their now and my mother has been dead for 20 years, it would of been nice to see where she grew up

jotarby, There is an explanation on the banner at the top of the page, images were lost when the forum was hacked, if we ask Lyn nicely she might be able to re-post the lost image.

Colin

Does anyone remember a Blacksmith in Abbey Street? A relative told me that there was one -I think about half way up
Thanks
DJRVST

In 1940 Ernest Strawbridge, blacksmith was at 20 Abbey St, in red on the map below

map_c_1950_showing_20_abbey_st.jpg

Mike
Thanks, that's great. I believe he had pigs and a goat. Are you able to show 52 and 54 please?
Regards
Dave

Hi mike
Just been reading your last couple of threads with interest firstly this one abbey street I spent a lot of time around this street
And in the area for various reasons but on the subject of abbey street I had quite area friends down that street
About half way down was a very good friend of mine the Calder family one was Micky and peter
There house was about half way down facing the blue marker this in the fifths
And secondly the lord Clifton pub where my mother used to be taken there in those early years of what you mentioned
And she told us of the great friendship of the gaffer and of the Hadley family and of the big parties that taken place there for years
And that my mother was the daughter of Bertha Victoria Hinton held the coffee house owners all over the place
And that one was one of her fathers brothers or there father thinking back it could have been Charles or farther or George held
You say after the forty they was no longer there so its possible they moved around to get Hampton street or by the jewely quarter
As I know they was there and that Charles was in alma street along with his booking office and it was there grand father whom was in summer lane in the early years down by great kings street end of summer lane and she told us how he started there
I am sure it was just before the world war one and we laughed at her as we was only kids and thought of those early days of war
Just how old she was and how started to sell tea and sandwiches out side the gates to the night workers and eventually bought a little premises and put a red hot flame in the window selling dinners
But yes they was all there late hours and grand mother Hinton and her aunts the Phelps of ford street hockley
And the perks of edgbaston and the one whom ran a dance school on nechells park red in the 1800 /1900
And they was stage tap and dance girls around the theaters and she had a monkey in a large cage she took to every thwarted where they danced the Hadley's was very good and close friends to the jelfs best wishes ALan. Astonian,,,,

Alan
When I said that Jelf's were no longer there, I meant that they were no longer at the position in the photograph (no 37). After the war they were at no 41 , which in 1940 had been Stella Brawn, dining rooms, and would have been off the photograph to the left. My inclination is to think that possibly some bomb damage may have incapacitated no. 37, as it does not seem to be listed for some years after the war.

The Abbey Street Blacksmith shod amongst others Clydesdales and Shires from the railway yard. He also kept a pig (or pigs) and a donkey. As you can guess the horses were used to pull wagons of goods for distribution from the railway. This happened certainly in the late 30's and early/mid 40's.
Dave

Originally the feed and straw for all the GWR horses were provided from Handsworth. This was transferred in 1885 to a new building in Didcot. It has been stated in a history of the GWR at Didcot that the building there closed when all horses were withdrawn by the company in 1953. Therefore presumably some horses were still in service up till that time .

In the 1940's, I well recall the GWR horses stabled at the Anderton Road depot. I always felt sorry for them. The Anderton Road section outside the stables was not only on an incline, but the road was cobbled, and I have witnessed horses slipping on the cobbles, sparks flying, as they attempted to pull their heavy load. I saw one horse slip over completely, and the animal really struggled to regain its feet whilst still attached to the long cart. With the winter icy roads, it was sometimes most desperate and worrying work. I am pleased that these scenes are, hopefully, long gone in the UK.

Eddie.

My husband will be fascinated to see Brighton Place on the map. He grew up there in the 50s and lived at 18/57 Abbey Street. He remembers the brew house and the yard and a few names from the families who lived there too. Any pictures or memories would be fantastic. We are researching his family tree as he never knew his grandparents. We have them living in and around the area.

Abbey_st_corner_lodge_road.jpg hi night nurse if there are any images that you cant see its because they were lost when the forum was hacked some years back..luckily i still have the abbey st one so here it is at the corner with lodge road

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lynn
Yes i can recall when you first put that photograph up all those years ago and i also added an in put then
meaning i comment about the other view of that top end of the street
where the first car is on the bend you can see a very slight exit of building well as you may recall
there was a little garage up that side betwen the building so whom ever snapped off with the forum pictures must have that
other photograph
I know the area very well like the back of my hand and i knew a couple afew people down and around there
looking down the hill about where it bends you can see a little black door and some kid is sitting on the step
that would have been the caldwells house and next one or two after was the flemmings family and there was the cotterills
by the news agents acros the top
and by the Hydralic pub on the lodge road second door from the pub windows was my sister inlaws house
her name is Maggie she now lives in Burmuda village and old coal miners houses as her husband is a retired coal minor
peg as put a picture of it on the forum so i am gonna down load it later and take it to her this week end
my aunty maud and uncle bill was the church care takers down lodge road church sadly they have both pased away and died
And also on lodge road i courted a girl name sylvia from up those terrace just pass scribona and just before the fireman pub
best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,

Couple of pics here of Abbey St.

Attachments

• Abbey Rd 1970.jpg
    Abbey Rd 1970.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 59
  • Abbey Rd.jpg
    Abbey Rd.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 55
I notice, from the maps here, that there was a garage behind the white building shown in Post 29. I see three fuel pumps: two presumably petrol and the other DERV. Was this for re-sale to car and other vehicle owners or for a companies sole use? The garage and parking area shown on the maps do not look a large enough area for a vehicle fleet requiring its own fuel supplies. The other notable thing is that there is no signage mentioning that it is a garage and if it was a garage for public use neither are there any of the usual metal signs associated with the motor trade.
I guess someone will know more about this establishment. ;)

Back