• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Abbey St, Hockley, Strawbridge Blacksmiths Family History Wanted For Kathryn Strawbridge

Welcome to the forum. You need to give some names with approximate dates so people have an idea what they are looking for. The more info then the easier it is for us to help. Look at some of the other NAME queries and see what things people have put. The members of this site are very good and helpful but need some info to go on.

Hi, thanks, I think I got a bit excited as I only started looking for info tonight and came across a map on here!

Ernest Strawbridge owned the blacksmiths in Abbey Street (number 20) from approximately 1940 - 1950's possibly.

They would have shod horses for Scribbans's Bakery in Goode Street and Bradfords Bread in Norton Street off Lodge Road.

If I could find a picture of them or the forge that would be fantastic.

Also they had a forge in Broad Street, approx. up to 1914. The premises stood on the land where the old registry office used to be next to the municipal bank.

Thanks Pedrocut

hi kat closest i have does not show the blacksmiths but it is of abbey street and certainly would have been taken during the time the blacksmiths were there

lyn

Abbey_st_corner_lodge_road.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all, I well remember a blacksmith called Arnold,i think that was his first name, he shoed large dray type horses his workshop backed on to I think the railway line, at the top end of Abbey St, relatives of mine had a polishing shop at the back end of his Smithy, I have seen those horses kick Arnold out of his workplace into Abbey Rd, whilst he was trying to shoe them. Happy days, Regards Ted J.

Great pic, thanks Lyn, I haven't seen that.

Yes Ted, Ernest Strawbridge (1877-1942) and his son Arnold Ernest Strawbridge (1911-1985), they are my great great and great uncle's once removed.

Good to hear about your memories and any other memories would be greatly appreciated.

Kat

Back