• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Abacus Building - Alcester Street

mrbigturner

Hi all,

New to BHF so not sure if this is the most appropriate place to post this query...

I'm moving into a flat in Abacus Building, 196 Alcester Street Digbeth (B12) and have been told the building is a 1930s factory converted to flats in 2006. Does anyone have any information on the history of the building, what it has been used for throughout its life and potentially pictures?

I've had a little dig on google but nothing has come up, appreciate any info!

Harry

Hello mrbigturner,

Welcome to the Forum. There are people on here that will be able to help you, so keep checking back.

Maurice

Until the mid `1960s it was part of a factory of Alfred Bird & Son, food manufacturers, of Birds Custard fame, who were taken over by General Foods, and they then later taken over by Kraft. The main factory was in Digbeth, but not sure what the factory in Alcester street (technically in Bradford St) was for. After Birds it was a toy factory of Hall & Lane Ltd. till at least 1973

A couple of photos for you, both looking along Alcester Street one from Bradford Street and the other from Bordesley High Street. Before it was swallowed up by a pressed steel works that later became the Alfred Birds building where your apartment is, it started out in life as a Malthouse.

Bordesley High Street Bordesley & Alcester Street - 1956[1].JPGHighgate Bradford St - Alcester St.jpg

Maurice

I'm not sure if they rebuilt it or renovated it, to be honest I can't think they would move a food factory into a defunct steel works, but looking at the maps they definitely extended the building.

Some more photos from the Bradford Street side, all taken in the 50's I thinkCamp Hill Bradford Street 1954.jpgHighgate Bradford St (4).JPGHighgate Bradford St 1953.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what a response!

Thanks so much everyone, so the building has had a much more varied life than I had been led to believe.

The pictures are great thanks Phil. It looks like my flat is in an extension of the original building heading towards the Spotted Dog pub opposite the new Iron Works development.

Thanks all!

Harry

Hi, I might be a bit late to this post but the Abacus building was at some point a coffee warehouse possibly this was it's original purpose.

Back