• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

AB ROW URINALS

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks...just been reading a smashing little book and in it it says that just before AB row was demolished conservationists carefully dismantled the old urinals so that they could be rebuilt elsewhere....would anyone know if this did happen and if so where are they now

thanks

lyn

Lyn

If I know anything about the way the Council works, its probably doubling as some Councillors garden shed, because officially it got scrapped in error.

Nechells Coleshill St ProspectRow[.jpg

Wasn't it supposed to go to Blist Hill in 1971

thanks rob reading that it certainly looks as though its at blist hill...keep meaning to visit...my brother has been several times so i will ask him if he has seen the old urinals there..phil the photo i have got show work barriers around it so it does look promising

lyn

thanks rob reading that it certainly looks as though its at blist hill...keep meaning to visit...my brother has been several times so i will ask him if he has seen the old urinals there..phil the photo i have got show work barriers around it so it does look promising

lyn

I think this photo has been on here before, but here it is again. Dated late 1960's The Ford Tranny [cane out in 1965] looks a bit work worn.

Attachments

• Ashted AB Row  The Ashted Castle.JPG
    Ashted AB Row The Ashted Castle.JPG
    652.8 KB · Views: 18
tsrplatelayer (Society member Blists Hill Allan Smith ) wrote on this forum 21st Sept 2016
" I am trying to see if all the parts are present to reassemble it but many of the castings are broken. A pic in the B'ham Post dated 8 Feb 1971 shows volunteers using a sledge hammer on cast iron to dismantle it!! No wonder so many parts are broken, and we have no pics of how the roof goes together or the intenal structure - we dont have any of the porcelain. "

So it was definitely at Blists Hill on 21st September 2016

Last edited:
If it did go to Blists HiIl it doesn't seem to show up on the site plan.

lyn

tsrplatelayer (Society member Blists Hill Allan Smith ) wrote on this forum 21st Sept 2016
" I am trying to see if all the parts are present to reassemble it but many of the castings are broken. A pic in the B'ham Post dated 8 Feb 1971 shows volunteers using a sledge hammer on cast iron to dismantle it!! No wonder so many parts are broken, and we have no pics of how the roof goes together or the intenal structure - we dont have any of the porcelain. "

thanks rob

lyn

dismantling cast witha sledge hammer,what a moron, and nothing to point percy at.is not good.
at least there are some very good cast iron welders in brum

I don't remember many gents urinals having anything made out of porcelain, the whole structure was usually cast iron.

Back