• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A War Time Diary

B

BernardR

Looking for something else entirely I came across this diary kept a young Birmingham lad during the war. Well worth a read.

Bernie, thanks for posting the link. I was engrossed in it the first time I read it a few years ago. It is fascinating to read and I am sure a lot of members haven't come across it as yet.

I also read the diary, fascinating to say the least. In particular the account of the bombing of Coventry, I remember that night when we all stood on the front step at our house on Moat Lane Yardley, looking south could see the sky a bright red with the fires. Things like that you NEVER forget. Several years ago my American born wife Marcia and I visited Coventry and saw what that they had done with what was left of the Cathedral, she was to say the least very shaken by what she saw. How lucky and I guess blessed to have survived WW2. I still to this day see the German chap about my age that rides his bike on the trail here in Parker, Colorado, He ALSO went through the horrors of WW2 in Berlin, including the bombing of the apartment they lived in, MADNESS is about all we can say about all that happened. We where so young and innocent. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Co USA

Back