• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A Wall (Platform Edge?) from the Old Snow Hill Railway Station is Uncovered and

horsencart

master brummie
I was on Snow Hill Station today having a look look at the progress of the tram extension, when I noticed that down a hole there appeared to be a wall (Platform edge) I now think that the wall was one of the platform edge,s from the old Snow Hill Station , this wall had not long been exposed and as is the the way was then demolished, if you would like to see footage of the demolishen of the platform edge? then please go to
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/15743655710/ there is very little of the old station left, and after today even less

Re: A Wall (Platform Edge?) from the Old Snow Hill Railway Station is Uncovered

It is difficult to know these at what level the station rails are now sitting. I assume that due to the tunnel, they must be at the same level as the 19th century rebuild. There was a whole world of activity beneath the old Snow Hill Station up to its demise. Beneath the platforms on the Snow Hill side there was stabling for horses and cover for the carts and behind it a large area for handling parcels both in and out.
Underneath the station in Lionel Street there was a booking office and the necessary offices to support it and on the Livery Street side there were many more rooms of which I have no knowledge.

Re: A Wall (Platform Edge?) from the Old Snow Hill Railway Station is Uncovered

They now appear to have knocked three holes in what would have been the roof of the goods area (below the platforms) it appears that the object of the exercise is to have three skylights, to throw light on the area below I have filmed/photographed it so it that it will appear on the interweb soon, on a separate subject Acocks Green Railway Station are in the process of installing two platform lifts the last time I was there there was a glass bridge in place I had a look today and its gorn has it been nicked ? I suspect that the safety mob have gone barmy and took it away? as it was not safe?

It is difficult to know these at what level the station rails are now sitting. I assume that due to the tunnel, they must be at the same level as the 19th century rebuild. There was a whole world of activity beneath the old Snow Hill Station up to its demise. Beneath the platforms on the Snow Hill side there was stabling for horses and cover for the carts and behind it a large area for handling parcels both in and out.
Underneath the station in Lionel Street there was a booking office and the necessary offices to support it and on the Livery Street side there were many more rooms of which I have no knowledge.

Back