• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A Walk Down Summer Lane by John Douglas

marygrice

My mother lived a few doors down from the Douglas family in Newcombe Road, Handsworth, and played with Johnny and his brother as they were growing up. Many years later, after "A Walk Down Summer Lane" was published, he gave my Mom a signed copy, but sadly she loaned it out too many times and it was never returned. She often talks about this and I just wondered if any forum members might know where I could find a second hand copy of this book, or if anyone has ever come across one inscribed to Sheila

My mom gave John Douglas a lot of help with his research,when he wrote the book.My dad probably still has her signed copy...However he is 97 and doesn't remember where he puts things.Shall have to have a look.

Is this the one with illustrations by Smudger Smith? Not sure if I got any of that that right? If so there should be a copy knocking around - I will take a look.

Wow - thank you for your speedy replies and offers to look - I'm very grateful. I think Mom's copy was illustrated, but I'm not sure by who. I'm sure it was hardback and had, I think, a yellow jacket
I've just followed the link to Amazon - yes I'm sure that's the book, and you're right, they are a bit pricey!

My daughter's friend was clearing out her old books and a paperback copy of "A Walk Down Summer Lane" was amongst them so picked it up for me. It is a collectable book, so hold on to it if you have one!

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
I have a copy I would sell. 1st with dust jacket which has one closed tear. Photos attached. I could list on eBay but feel the members here deserve 1st "dibs".
I would have to ask £80.00 +£4.00 postage
I know that is quite a lot but I paid a lot years ago. It is scarce. The best price I could find was £77.95 and that is unsigned.

Let me know if you have a genuine interest before I list it online.

Attachments

• PXL_20230822_175410784.jpg
    PXL_20230822_175410784.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20230822_175422631.jpg
    PXL_20230822_175422631.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20230822_175441320.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230822_175441320.MP.jpg
    980 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20230822_175500505.jpg
    PXL_20230822_175500505.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
I have a copy I would sell. 1st with dust jacket which has one closed tear. Photos attached. I could list on eBay but feel the members here deserve 1st "dibs".
I know that is quite a lot but I paid a lot years ago. It is scarce. The best price I could find was £77.95 and that is unsigned.

crikey i have that hardback copy...excellent condition..obviously given as a christmas present as its signed inside 25th december 1977....i also have the paper back one..cover is in colour published 1984

lyn

crikey i have that hardback copy...excellent condition..obviously given as a christmas present as its signed inside 25th december 1977....i also have the paper back one..cover is in colour published 1984

lyn
In another couple of years and it will be fetching £120+ I reckon.
Availability x Desirability x Condition = Value

Paperback is around £18 I would say.

SOLD I have been in the Antique trade for almost 40 years, The price of something is never the appraisal value or to be found in a price book. As a seller, I can only ask for something which I consider fair and something I will not lose money on.
availability x desirability x condition = asking price.
The seller never knows the true price of something and the buyer is the only one who can, by what they actually pay, state what an item is worth.
My copy of "A Walk Down Summer Lane" sold for £80.00 to an American collector. Therefore that is its value.
Over time this book will become less available and more scarce. It will remain very desirable and I believe that the value/price will continue to increase as time goes by to reflect that.
So...... hold on to your copy for the Brummie generations to come !!!

Last edited:
SOLD I have been in the Antique trade for almost 40 years, The price of something is never the appraisal value or to be found in a price book. As a seller, I can only ask for something which I consider fair and something I will not lose money on.
availability x desirability x condition = asking price.
The seller never knows the true price of something and the buyer is the only one who can, by what they actually pay, state what an item is worth.
My copy of "A Walk Down Summer Lane" sold for £80.00 to an American collector. Therefore that is its value.
Over time this book will become less available and more scarce. It will remain very desirable and I believe that the value/price will continue to increase as time goes by to reflect that.
So...... hold on to your copy for Brummie generations to come !!!
in that case i will hang onto my 2 copies

lyn

Back