• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A very sad day.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Today has been a very difficult day, Yesterday we said goodbye to our little 11 year old Yorkie Alice.
She has been in poor health for a while but still enjoyed her food and her walk but things changed the past 2 days she didn't want to eat or drink and slept for hours .
The vet thought her time had come and we agreed that it was the time to say goodbye.
Covid has meant Vets will not see pets with their owners, they have to put them in the front porch to be taken inside by Vets, but our lovely vet put Alice on a blanket in the surgery garden and we were with her to stroke her until she went to sleep.
Bradhas lost his friend and is moping, being taken for more walks to sniff more trees, lol.
Only an animal owner who has gone through the loss will know how we feel . I know it will get easier but today is awful.

Last edited:
oh alberta i am so sorry to hear about the loss of alice and yes all of us who have gone through the same thing will know how you are feeling right now....time will heal but we never forget our pets and why should we...take comfort in the fact that alice would have had a wonderful life with very caring owners....

lyn xxx

Today has been a very difficult day, Yesterday we said goodbye to our little 11 year old Yorkie Alice.
She has been in poor health for a while but still enjoyed her food and her walk but things changed the past 2 days she didn't want to eat or drink and slept for hours .
The vet thought her time had come and we agreed that it was the time to say goodbye.
Covid has meant Vets will not see pets with their owners, they have to put them in the front porch to be taken inside by Vets, but our lovely vet put Alice on a blanket in the surgery garden and we were with her to stroke her until she went to sleep.
Brad has lost his friend and is moping, being taken for more walks to sniff more trees, lol.
Only an animal owner who has gone through the loss will know how we feel . I know it will get easier but today is awful.
i am sorry to hear that about Alice. bless her

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Alberta, I am so sorry to hear of your sad loss. I could feel my eyes welling up as I read it.

Dogs bring so much love into your life, it leaves you with a big empty space when they go. I know that your doggie would have been well loved and enjoyed a full and happy life.

Part of your grief will be missing the joy of having time and walks with her and all of those fond memories that fill your life. At least you can hold them with reverence and know that you gave her the joy, she gave to you.

I understand completely your loss. I and the rest of the family felt absolutely devastated when our own beloved Buster left us in similar circumstances. My condolences to you.

Brad has lost his friend and is moping, being taken for more walks to sniff more trees, lol.

Alberta my friends lost their yorkie Lucy, this week too. They had to make that awful decision, so hard to make but the last kindness we can give our beloved pets.
All of us animal owners know what you're going through, it's so awful. When it happened to me and my little jack russell, Cassie, 5 years ago I was devastated. But like Lucy and Cassie your little Alice had a loving home, and they are the lucky ones aren't they? So many poor, unwanted dogs, I'd love to give them all a home!
We have a staffie now, she came from the RSPCA, and she's a loving, comical girl. I found it hard to bond with her at first, still with Cassie filling my heart, but I soon realised there was plenty of room for both of them, and I love her to bits. She was 4 when we had her so she's nearly 9 now, and I'm hoping she's got a few years left before I go down that awful road again. It's so hard to lose our four legged friends but the years of love and devotion they give us have to make it worth it.
Thinking of you,
Lynn.

Feel for you Alberta. They are such a big part of the family and are so, so missed when they leave us. It’ll be hard for you at the moment, I know. When we’ve lost our dogs, each time I’ve said “no more”, but time heals, and yet again we have another rescue dog.

Take care Alberta and keep all those good times close to your heart.

I too am welling up. Viv. Xxx

So sorry to hear about your loss Alberta. I have in the past had to take two yorkies to the vets for the same, and know how bad you must feel

There is no pain like the loss of a treasured part of our lives, they give us all of themselves and ask nothing of us.
We have done our best to keep them safe and happy and that is why our pets are living to a longer life.
I can't count the number of times i have said no more pets but along comes another one and chooses us to share their lives with .
Remember the good times ,

There is no pain like the loss of a treasured part of our lives, they give us all of themselves and ask nothing of us.
We have done our best to keep them safe and happy and that is why our pets are living to a longer life.
I can't count the number of times i have said no more pets but along comes another one and chooses us to share their lives with .
Remember the good times ,
So very true postie!

Animals...love em, that's why I'm a vegetarian! No words can heal the pain, only time will do that. Stay strong...
Dave A

Alberta only just seen your post and am oh so very sorry to hear about Alice. I know only too well what you are going through. RIP little girl. xxx

Thank you for all your lovely thoughts.
It is still difficult but any of you who have lost a pet will know it gets easier day by day.
Another little casket to add to the 2 others,all little Yorkies who brightened our lives .
Brad is still quiet but eating well , he's probably thinking 'where's that blinking nuisance',because when he finished his dinner he would mop up what Alice left.

Back