• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A very sad day for us.

A

angie

Today we had to make the decision to put our 17 year old Jack Russell to sleep.
Jess seems to have been with us forever and it's gonna be very strange without her.

God bless our Jess x

My thoughts go out to you and your family today Angie. It's such a difficult decision
to make. Sincerest regards to you all.

Oh Angie, I am so sorry to hear of your loss :'(. May your pain be healed by great memories of your
Jess

So sorry for you Angie.

I know only too well how you feel.

Time heals.

Angie oh the pain a very close friend of ours had to do the same 3 weeks ago Bengie was his name 16 years old and he used to be a walking pal of our Star a real tear for you and your family :'(

I have recently been through this with a dog, Monty. It's hard. We give them love but they give us everything. After a while you will realize that your dog lived a full life and a long one in a loving and caring family and you will be able to celebrate that fact then. She could have gone to a situation where she was misstreated but she did not she came to you. Please accept my sincere regrets.
Rupert

Sorry for your loss Angie, It's like losing a member of the family, not a pet, but you know that YOUR dog was the happiest dog on the planet, and that knowlege will help ease the pain.

So sorry for your loss Angie. I know only too well how you feel having lost many of our dogs over the years. The last one was Kess, a 6 year old white German Shepherd who passed away in her sleep a year ago this month. I havn,t been able to have another dog yet. Maybe some day. The thoughts of eveyone on this site, I know, will be with you.

Angie,my thoughts are with you.

Lying at my feet as I write are 2 very smelly yorkies whom i adore but I will never forget the 3 other dogs who have shared my life throughout the years.

Soon the memories will take away some of your pain.

Angie,

I am sure a lot of us have experienced the pain and emptiness that you are feeling at this moment and our thoughts are with you.

I also guess that at some point you will question your decision as to whether you made the right choice (which I am sure you did).

I work in a Vet Clinic and send out the following verse to my clients (which they have told me has helped comfort them).

Hope they help.

If it be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should wake me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I'll understand,
Don't let your grief then stay your hand,
For this day more than all the rest
Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
What is to come will hold no fears,
You'll not want me to suffer, so,
When the time comes, please let me go.

I know in time, you too will see,
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering, I've been saved.

Do not grieve that it should be you,
Who has decided this thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Fay

Thank you all,if only Jess went in her sleep that wouldn't have been as bad to to make the horrible decision...

Love you all :smitten:

Ps Fay thank you for the poem :smitten:

Angie my thoughts are with you. I know just how you feel as I had to make the same decision only about 4 months ago when I had to have our cat Sam put to sleep. I think the poem sent by Fay is so comforting, and a very thoughtful verse to give to the "parents" of the animals at her practice.

Angie, you must be so sad, especially as Jess had been part of your family for such a long time. I know that when I had my Jake put to sleep 2 years ago, it took so much getting used to... everytime the door went, I was expecting to see him bolt to it and bark. I had no choice either - he was so poorly and in so much pain, it was the kindest thing but it did break my heart.

I was finally able to bring myself to get another dog about 6 months ago. Nell is lovely and has fitted in and become part of our family just like Jake was. I know you probably don't think it now, but time is a great healer. We still love and miss Jake but it does get easier to bear.

Janny

Back