• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A true story.....honest

SuBee

master brummie
It was 4pm, cold, and the snow was falling thick and fast. Heavy laden with shopping and pushing a pushchair with two toddlers in tow, I was pleased to see the Royal Angus Hotel neon sign - it was my beacon. Why I had chosen to park in that multi story car park baffled me now. It had seemed such a good idea at the time, a nice easy exit after an afternoons shopping in town.

The lads were restless, tired, cold and hungry. 'Nearly there' were my words of comfort to them..........it seemed to work when we were on a long journey, so my expectations were the same as we approached the lift to the car park.
Tip toed, little fingers pressed all the buttons to summonds the lift. We all piled in and the same fingers did the same proceedure again. My relief that we were one step nearer to home allowed me to cope with the lift stopping fruitlessly on every floor. The bell rang for the 4th time and we all bundled out and marched like soldiers on the last leg of their journey, to the car.

My heart stopped.............No car. 'Maybe I'm tired and made a mistake' I thought. My eyes flitted around the 4th floor of the car park, before I had the sinking feeling that my car had been stolen.'Wheres the car Mom' said my eldest, who had already sensed something was wrong, his nose and cheeks were red and as young as he was - I could see in his eyes that he had that sinking feeling too. 'It was definately the 4th floor' I couldnt believe it - why my car? - why now? Finding a little more energy, I made my way to the Car park Attendants office.

'My cars been stolen' I blurted out.

Out popped a mature, fragile looking man in his NCP uniform with a pen in his top pocket. as he approached me I noticed his limp. I immeadiately thought of the comedians on TV, who portrayed car park attendants charactured by limping - as funny as that seemed as I sat infront of a fire in a warm room, now I just visualised him as my knight in shining armour.
Calmly, he took his pen out of his pocket and took the details of my car. My lips were a quiver...partly because it was cold, partly because the reality of having my car stolen had hit me. he took me to his hut, there was barely room for us all, but the kids climbed in and I continued relaying the story to the atttendant.

'Was I sure I parked it on the 4th floor?' 'Had I left the ticket in the car?' Was I in the right car park?'...........all these questions were meant to assist in the recovery of my car - to me they were doubting my ability to park and locate my car. My upset turned to anger. 'OK OK..........not a problem' said the attendant - who obviously had experienced a few women angry before and did not want to traverse that road again,'I'll go take a look for your car, you all stay here and I will be back soon'!

I quickly realised that 'Soon' is a relative term, and 'my soon' the 'lads soon' and the 'attendants soon' were not compatable at all.

About half an hout later he returned.....no car.

'I have checked all the floors, I have to before calling the police' he told me. 'Are you sure you didnt leave the ticket in the car' he asked again. this time I produced my ticket as proof that I hadnt. 'Its just that you cant exit without a ticket' he explained. 'I think what has happened, is that your car has been stolen and another stolen car has been left in the car park in its place'. Evidently this is what car gangs did. Bring a 'hot' car into the carpark and leave it, but steal another car and use the 'hot' cars ticket to exit the car park. So now my car was 'hot'.

The attendant looked tired and cold too now, and I felt deeply sorry that at the end of a long and bitter cold day he was having to sort all this out for me. The kids were warmer and less fretful as they played in the hut. 'Well' said Bill, we were on first name terms at this point 'its a police jobby now'.

By this time it was 5.30pm, and as Bill finished reporting the incident to the police, I asked if I could phone my husband to inform him that I was safe, but would be late home, and what had happened.

'Hello.................its only me, dont worry, were ok, but im afraid I have some bad news' my eyes filled a little 'my car has been stolen and Im waiting for the police to arrive'
'YOUR car?!' came the response 'You mean MY car' (I gulped) 'I took your car for its MOT today remember? You borrowed my car to go to town' :oops:

Most of the shop workers had collected their cars at this time, so the 4th floor looked nice and empty now, so it was really easy to spot my husbands car. Bill had walked up with me and carried my shopping, the police had said it was an easy mistake, yet their eyes carried an air of 'typical woman' look in them. This is a look that only women who have seen it before will recognise. Bill packed the shopping in my boot, folded the pushchair and said it was nice to have met me, but his eyes carried the same look too :(

Next True Car story - The day I ran into the back of the same man TWICE!

BEEN THERE DONE THAT!

Sue - I was rolling around the floor laughing at your story - sorry predicament! I too have lost my car in a multi-story park and feel for you! Well written and witty! Of course just fiction - none of us wimmen would lose our cars - would we? :wink:

:D Well Sue it's at moments like these that I'm glad that I am unable to drive a car, as I am sure I would have a similar tale to tell.
Also knowing Colin has had to wait for a car park to almost empty before he and his mates could retrieve their car and return home and they had no tired children in tow after an afternoons shopping. Just themselves after a day at the races. :lol: :lol:

Look forward to reading more. 8)

Chris :)

I can NEVER find my car in a car park, so I was on pins waiting for the end of your story Sue. :D

A true story - honest

ySue, I don't know whether your story is true or not, but I had a similar experience some years ago, I used to stop as Asda on the Serpentine Ground on Friday nights on the way home from work, when I got back to the car park my car had been "stolen". I was distraught, went back into the store and asked them to phone the police, but the only details I could give was the make, colour and reg. number. They said to make my way home and ring them with all the other identification numbers etc., on the reg. document. I had to have a taxi home, ring the police again, then my son and partner took me back there, it was getting late and there in all its splendour was my Vauxhall, I just burst into tears with relief, then when we got home had to ring the police and apologise for the inconvenience.

Great story, Sue, but if it is true, do you realise what you've handed me/us... the BARmen?

A true story.....honest - The Sequel

Setting - One November afternoon in 2006  @ 4 pm (approx 15/11/06) at Worcester General Hospital

It was approaching darkness as my hubby, my aunt and myself, arrived at MY car - within the LARGE hospital car park. My Aunt thad seen the consultant and as there was another drug available that may relieve some of her symptoms - we were on a slight 'high'.

It was soon to be dashed - we arrived at the car to find that the remote was not unlocking the doors. We wern't too far from the sanctuary of the out patients department,  howerver the chilly breeze blew though us to remind us it was getting very cold outside.

Key into the drivers door lock - nothing! Key into the passenger door lock - nothing! Lots of people driving up asking if we were moving soon and if the space may be available - to be informed 'we cant get into the car' :(

'Remote batteries gone?' I asked

'Ususally works manually though' was the response.

We al carried the same facial expressions of children knowing that there was goiing to be a long cold wait ahead.

I dailled 118 118

'RAC RESCUE please' ...........................'Yes I would like to be connected'

'RAC RESCUE - CAN I HELP' came the response.....................this ladies voice was that of an angel.

'Yes! Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!' flowed from my lips like Sir Lancelot had arrived on a white horse.

At exactly the same moment as I was beginning to explain our predicament............................I heard the 'clunk' of the car doors unlocking.

OH, ERMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, so sorry I think Ive called in error I stuttered as i cut off the call watching my husband swinging  MY keys.

We both have the same make and model of car - and he had tried to unlock MY car with HIS car keys!

We emulated the rememberance day silence for a while before rolling about in laughter.

As we drove off - I heard my husband mutter 'at least I remebered where I parked the car'!

Something similar happened to me not long ago. We decided to take Mick's car to brum the one day to see my mom. Mick takes the crook lock off my car and off we go,gets to moms put the lock on no probs,after waving goodby to mom we jump in the car and guess what! the b........ keys to the crooklock are in Tamworth :tickedoff: by this time i'm getting more and more :tickedoff: In the end we had to get a taxi back to Tamworth then get my car then drive back to Brum to get his car :tickedoff: I can laugh about it now but it wasn't funny at the time :uglystupid2:

I really feel for Tony. I once posted a poem on here twice and have never been allowed to forget it. ::) He's got to live with his error 24/7, 365! :(

There's a certain person not far from me at the moment who had a habit of trying to get into any red Ford when we had one. Anything from Granada to Fiesta she'd try as long as it was red and parked in a supermarket car parks. We've got round the problem now with a bright yellow Renault. Well who else would have a car that colour? ???

The sequel

You sure you only posted that poem twice Oisin?! >:D

I love it when men (excluding dennis of course  ;) ) get things wrong

a) if its perceived as their fault, the whole thing is minimised
b) I enjoy watching them learn to fly ( you know what I mean - when they stand back to look at the situation and their arms flap up and down in disbelief)

dont worry ladies ,i am a bloke(i think) and i have done all those wrong car park ,wrong keys ,trying to get in cars of same make and colour and actually going home on the bus as i didnt think i had gone into town in my car,i am with you all the way

oisin ,i know what its like to be beaten up by a slip of a girl,i am staying on their side,only when i get my pinny off :2funny:

I installed a six foot long fibre glass antenna with a flag on top ( it looked a bit like a dodgem car at the onion fair) on Mrs Frantics car, so that she could find it in shopping car parks. She has a habit of coming out of the shopping centre through a different door than she went IN, so she actually spends more time looking for the car than she does shopping.

Frantic  does Mrs Frantic know your taking the Mick ::) ::) ::)

The dog house comes to mind :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

I'm deadly serious Angie.....and anyway, I'm one of the rare male breed that is not frightened of his wife. I wear the pants in my house and I'm not afraid to say it.

Ouch!..............didn't see her coming. As a matter of interest, how many other guys out there have a flat spot on the back of their heads?

Frantic said:
Ouch!..............didn't see her coming. As a matter of interest, how many other guys out there have a flat spot on the back of their heads?

Moi!... wonder why that is? :-[

Incidentally, my daughter's husband has attached a big Shrek's head to their car aerial so that she can find it in supermarket car parks.

shrek.jpg

We had our car from a garage where they know us well, and are very good to us as my husband is disabled.
It had been raining heavily and I noticed the back seat was wet. We went back to the garage and told them. The
mechanic walked calmly round the car, opened the back door and wound the window up!! It was only down a fraction but we hadn't noticed!
Have you ever felt stupid?! It's good job they know us!
rosie.

Back