• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Memories : Tribute to old Birmingham

I don't remember hearing of burying them. Do remember (not me, could not afford levis) wearing them and either soaking in the bath, or preferably in the sea and leaving them on to dry and shrink to size

It has different memories at different times. To the Bull Ring with my dad to buy crabs claws, then a little older with my mom again on a Saturday into BHS for beans on toast. Teenage years looking for the lastest fashions and dancing at the Locarno and West End. Working at Times Furnishings, popping over the C&A to find something to wear over the weekend. Having my daughter in 66 visiting baby shops for clothes. It was an essential part of my life - always.
My mum bought her wedding dress there after taking a wrong turn out of the station . I went with dad on the train maybe in the 80s we noted how friendluer it was, to Cov, & him a Coventry kid.

My stepdaughter took her children this month by train, as she wanted to eat a sushi in a restaurant. The other daughter goes shopping leaving het partner in a pub, he can't walk far . She likes the markets & atmosphere. My friend went with a street choir to perform. She liked the fair & the atmosphere . I have not been since I went on a course at the Post & Mail. I got lost & a postman accompanied me to my destination. Mum was inthe hispital at Aston, I went after work & stood with the posers in MacDonalds, how times change. My friend's chap owned the Hub smoke house , she said how busy it got. Weonly venture as far as Sheldon now as you have a charge on motor vehicles.
My mates' pub in the gay village has been shut down. His wife died, he will move to Brum, he loves...
the atmosphere. I only knew Selly Oak really but I am Brummie born. We liked Moseley too. I think the suburbs are still buzzing.

Only being a Brummie by marriage I don't have a lot of childhood memories of Birmingham but do recall in 1950s:
  • those annual trips to see Fr Christmas and Uncle Holly at Lewis's
  • meeting my Dad (who worked in Brmingham) and having lunch with him - Greys, Lewis's or the Co-op
  • was the roof garden on Lewis's? - vaguely recall a pets corner.
  • Pimms Pets in the Market Hall (although I don't remember it with a roof).
  • those fascinating money shutes in Greys - remember when they took your money and then sent it via that tube thing.
My main memories of the big shopping areas are in the 1970s when as a student I travelled into and then out of Birmingham every day in term time. At different times of the day depending on when lectures were. Getting on and off the bus in Corporation Street (the number 12). The Christmas windows at Rackhams - waiting to see what the theme was. I didn't like the subway steps especially when it had been raining as I was worried about slipping. If it was early evening then you could hear the noise of the starlings coming in to roost. Also watch their swooping around.
Those were the days when bags were searched when you went into the main shops (just after the pub bombings). Nobdy minded that things took a little longer. I am sure that the last time I went into the centre people were moving more quickly - or have I just slowed down? People actually looking round and not just at a phone screen.
I also remember being fascinated by the news which moved across - but I can't remember where - was it somewhere opposite Bull Street?
I remember My Black Country Nan saying how winderful Lewis's Christmas grotto was, every year, but she never took me.

Back