• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A Thrussell - sport caps?

Phil311067

Hi, bought this at a church jumble sale in Liverpool in the mid 70’s. Tried to find any info about it but have failed so far. Any information gratefully received.

Attachments

• DED51BA6-1CF2-4F11-B2C9-914BA060CB03.jpeg
    DED51BA6-1CF2-4F11-B2C9-914BA060CB03.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 61141351-A425-4359-B8BC-988B7020F33A.jpeg
    61141351-A425-4359-B8BC-988B7020F33A.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 16
1915 Kelly's Directory has the following entry
1583703471043.png
So I assume they sold the cap.

The next directory I can acces is 1940
1583703652929.png

nice item..im no expert but it looks like a sports cap...is that the 3 lions on it...could it be an england cricket cap i wonder

lyn

Further digging finds then in the 1950 phone book
1583703804238.png

By 1955 they had expanded
1583704050878.png

By 1960 they were no longer listed.

Last edited:
A sad story. In September 1926 Albert Thrussell was found by his daughter with his head in a gas oven. Well-known hosier with business at 5 Midland Arcade. In business for 24 years.

Can you identify the badge on the cap for 1922/1923. It could be a cricketer's cap for that season.

Yes they did Janice. It most likely was that the former owner was a Member of the College rowing club and a participant in the famous 'Bumps' on the River Cam whilst up at Cambridge.

I did wonder but as I only found modern images and there is a faint border on the cap badge I just wondered if the image had been updated. Might be worth enquiring. The other idea might be to send the image to a reputable sports memorabilia dealer and seeing if they have any ideas.

1583763398692.png1583763560954.pngSt. John's College Cambridge. The cresting is not original and is recent I believe.
1583762403909.png1583763233871.pngChrist's College Cambridge
Both colleges have the same arms, that of Margaret of Beaufort who founded them.

It does appear than the cap in the originating post has faded; the azure now appearing black

That link, Janice concentrates of Rugby, association football and cricket; I see little, or no mention of other sports. My line of enquiry follows the rowing suggestion by Pedrocut.

I agree but if you look many of thefootball and rugby caps are very similar in style especially the 1920 ones. I still think it might be worth contacting the colleges and seeing if they can help or point in the right direction to find out.

I agree but if you look many of thefootball and rugby caps are very similar in style especially the 1920 ones. I still think it might be worth contacting the colleges and seeing if they can help or point in the right direction to find out.
The badge is the arms of King Edward VI. Could it be part of the King Edward's foundation schools, possibly the High School?

Addition to my earlier post. The cap could be a "Blue" awarded to an outstanding sports person. They were awarded for all sports but especially for Rugby and Cricket. At K.E.G.S. Camp Hill it was a blazer badge to be worn in place of the normal school badge. The design was very similar to the badge shown in post#1.

The only King Edward's badge I vaguely know is Camp Hill Boys which is all red.
You are quite correct and the majority of pupils had the red badge, my self included, however for those few "super sportsmen" the colourful alternative was not only a badge of pride but an incentive to others to be the rare recipient of such an honour.

Whilst the KE VI arms contain the Beaufort Arms, I do not believe it is the one on the cap. There are too many additions, such as motto and supports. There were many schools, in Britain, of which Edward VI gave his name, even if he did not found them.

Last edited:
That is one thing which worried me but then I found this: The badge for the Academy Trust which uses just the shield. I would think it might be worth sending the photo of the cap to the archivist and asking. Easy option as it is local - if it is not then we can search further afield. Up to our new member who posted the question - Phil311067

1583787190226.png

Back