• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A.T.V. at Aston Cross

my husband worked on Crossroads fo many years as props man then special effects later going on to be bernie the bolt on the Golden shot. I met quite a few of the actors at various time and they were, on the whole a nice bunch. noelle could be a bit prima donish but was still liked. I am sure he could tell many a tale about the show

Lovely memories brum baby. I remember something posted before on this subject. I seem to remember some great photo's posted before the site was hacked and we lost them. I went to the Golden Shot when I was about 15 it was great.

Hi Roz - see you have been having some fun trips lately.

Yes Wendy - Brum baby put some good photos on before the Forum was hacked. Her husband and my ex-boyfriend were joint Bernie's on The Golden Shot.

Judy

I have just remembered when Meg Richardson got married at the Cathedral in Colmore Row. It was meant to be a small private wedding so the script went. Thousands of people turned up to watch the happy couple as they emerged from the Cathedral, it was really bizarre. They tried really hard to get camera angles that didn't show the grinning, waving throng. There were even bystanders throwing confetti, very strange.:untroubled:

Hi Judy, yes we have been tripping around the country. Life is good when we do not have to work.

I will post some cutting from the Goldlen Shot years.

The script writers did not realise that the accident which left him paralysed was permanent. The mistake was pointed out by many of the viewers hence him having to stay in a wheelchair. Roger worked for the post office as a telegram messenger boy and discovered when after joining the post office drama society.

Roz wedding.jpg.jpg At the time of our wedding in 1970 I was working in the tele ad department of the Birmingham Mail. They rang me up at our wedding reception eager to find out if any gremlins had appeared during the day. At the time the Golden Shot was full or things going wrong. Apart from the crossbow made of icing being dropped by the caterers and smashed, the day was perfect

At the old a tv studios was mr jinks chief electrician hus wife Norah was a bham councillor I worked under alf hinks at the old theatre royal where he was chief electrician I was offered a job with him at a tv but refused the hours were rough an I was young

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hubby thinks it was Frank Hincks one of the older long term electricians, not the chief electrician when he worked with him 1960 to 1976

QUOTE=ronald coooer121;513290]At the old a tv studios was mr jinks chief electrician hus wife Norah was a bham councillor I worked under alf hinks at the old theatre royal where he was chief electrician I was offered a job with him at a tv but refused the hours were rough an I was young

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

HI Yes and there was little billy warick whom was the chiefe electrician at the birmingham aleander thearter in the thirtys and fortys and the fftyies'old billy warick and his
wife katey was a smasking couple of people you could ever meet and katey was a dance and actor there as well she danced on stage along with my mother and grand mother and i think it was a guy named harry leivein i am not sure how you spelt his name but they done all the old music halls and thearters
i knew billy and kate and there two sons personaly bill died about twenty years ago or abit longer he was about four foot tall his wife katey died about five years ago
she showed me alot of the old stage acting and the danceing she used to do in the thearter and little billy is still well known and remembered by the older generations of yester years they was from selly park a the time best wishes astonian;;

Alan - Off topic I know, but did Billy Warwick from the Alex, have a son also called Billy who worked there possibly as a stage hand?

Hi Chris and Macbeth
Chris you are correct he lived in high gate in the one and only high block of flats next to the hotel for many years and there was another actor whom played a tough guy in cross RDS our kid used to deliver is milk for him the name just escapes me I will remember him later Carlos lived there for years and used to see him regular
Even when out shopping local a nice guy he was and there was another guy whom lived down the bristol red next to the hotel he had a flat there swell
And roger tongue lived in the big block of costs across the red from the ivy bush best wishes astonish

Hi jayell
Nice to hear from you yes he did and along with Kay is wife he was a real nice guy I could spend time with them and have tea and listen for hours
And going through the old photographs they had between them and bill would tell me about the things with certain the actors that went on behind the stage
And the things he had to do to keep the shows going on he managed all the lighting as well Kay used to tell me about the dance troupe and with all there pics of the ladyies in there short dance skirts dancing on the screen they had hundreds of pics in black and white the boys was great meaning there sons
I have not seen them for years now it was a friend of mine whom contacted me about her death billy as we called him died when I was around but I missed
Dear old Kate apparemtlyshe suffered towards the end of her life alan

Does anyone remember the TV studios on Aston Cross when Noel Gordon was in Cross Roads. Also, what was the dinner time program called? Lunchbox I think? I remember hanging around there as a youngster waiting to catch sight of someone famous. Does anyone remember their names?
Lynda in Wales
hi I am sure the group was the Jerry Allen trio with Lionel Ruben on drums

Back