• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A Sad Day

Hi Eric, I am really ad to hear about your loss today. I have had a dog for the last eight years, and now know how much a loved pet can bring to your life, they fill the home with their personality's. I hope that you will draw strength from the knowledge that your pet was well loved, and enjoyed what you gave to it, as much as what you dog gave back.

Terrible news

The quicker you can get another one call it the same name a things will get a little brighter.
Sad day

mike jenks

Feel for you Eric. We lost our dog 2 years ago. We still talk about her very, very fondly and laugh at her many antics. She was a big part of our family. I'd go along with Mike Jenks' advice and get another pal very soon. Viv.

Will probably obtain another rescue dog, but not before my holiday (30th May-6th June), I would like a smaller dog and at least 6 years old as I am no chicken myself (84 in June). Cannot believe all the support from Forum members. Very much appreciated. Will still be at meet next Saturday. Thank you all. By the way Sam wad named after a 21 year old cat we had (1979-2000) Eric

Last edited:
That's good Eric. You'll have so much fun getting to know each other. Something to look forward to. For whatever reason a rescue dog has been given up, it's heartwarming to know that you'll be able to give him/her a happy home. And of course you've had lots of canine experience too! Viv.

Eric, our dog Rupi is also getting on a bit. In the Avatar picture he is only 1 year old. Bit of a change now 10 years later. Pugs are small dogs but Rupi is a struggle to walk with; especially when he meets other dogs. Not that he is a biting dog, just overly rumbuctious. I miss a nice walking dog and it becomes more of a struggle as I age. Anyway, we thought that an older shelter dog might be the way to go down the road, also (hopefully a long way down) and I thought that a few trial walks might be in order to be sure of compatibility. Hmm...if I can make it. Just a thought. Dennis

Eric, so sorry to hear of the loss of your companion Sam, it is always very sad to lose a much loved pet, as others have said try to remember the love and happy times you shared.

Will probably obtain another rescue dog, but not before my holiday (30th May-6th June), I would like a smaller dog and at least 6 years old as I am no chicken myself (84 in June). Cannot believe all the support from Forum members. Very much appreciated. Will still be at meet next Saturday. Thank you all. By the way Sam wad named after a 21 year old cat we had (1979-2000) Eric

hello eric you are very much loved and respected on this forum so we all feel for you..so pleased you are thinking about getting an older rescue dog..he or she will be very lucky to have you...see you next week and take care of yourself..

lyn x

Eric, glad to hear you are thinking of getting another pet, talking from experience it really helps..two weeks after loosing our pet we were offered another daschund about 9months old house trained etc and now he is a member of the family he will never replace Fritz but he will be loved just the same....Brenda

Had a Westie SOPHIE that made it to 17yrs, was deafer than me per my wife, had to have her put to sleep. Never have got over that! John Crump OldBri. Parker. Co. USADSCN0931.jpgDSCN0931.jpg

Hi Eric - I know you may not be ready yet but the RSPCA are seeking a new home for a Dog - tonight's paper has the details.

Ive only just seen your post Eric and I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your lovely dog Sam. I hope you do get another rescue dog as you will give it a lovely home. Shera xx

Only just catching up with the threads. My condolences Eric on the loss of Sam, I remember well when you told us of Anna's passing. Rescue dogs (I currently have two) truly appreciate the second chance you give them of a happy life. I also volunteer for an animal sanctuary and older dogs are usually the hardest to find a home for so when you feel the time is right there will be a dog waiting for you who will be delighted to get a loving home and a second chance at life.

Simon

6918, Will certainly want a dog, but not till after my holiday (30th May to 6th June), would prefer an older dog, not to large, male or female. Will contact you unless something else turns up. I still have my cat and she is 16 (a stray I took in 14 years ago) Thanks Eric

My friend has their dog on a rehoming list, but she is 10. She has to go as my friend will have carers coming in permanently, at all hours, when they come out of hospital, which looks iminent, if the authorities can organise the proper care. The dog's hair would also be a negative respiratory factor. The dog would not be any good with other animals but she is very gentle and tolerant with my friend's grandchild now three. She had a rough start in life being a street dog with the homeless. She is a Rhodesian Ridgeback Cross, about the size of a border collie, short golden brown hair, and looks like a small Scooby Doo.

Nico, a mite too old for me, and possibly too large, looking for one about spaniel size and about 5 or 6 years old, will have to get on with my 16 year old cat Sooty, In any case I would like to wait till after my Holiday end of May. Eric

Back