• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A S L (associated sprayers limited)

Hi Pudding

I did not work for ASL as such but did lots of decoration work on the new factory in Eliot St when first built and prior to that the factory in Aston around the early sixties.
It meant that I had lots of contact with Mr Mason? and Mr Pye who incidently had me thrown of the site for not being in work on Saturday
Mr Mason always treated us chaps very well with a beer or two when working at his house in Lady Byron Lane but again he threatend to throw all the contractors off the Eliot St site when he found Hobnail boot marks in the bath in the MDs private bathroom some people get touchy over the smallest thing, happy days.

Regards Acklam19

Hi Pudding,

My wife worked for A S L in Eliot St moved with them to Plume St and finally to Midpoint Minworth as they were then Hozelock

Dave

hi acklam 19

Thanks for your reply, Mr Mason was a very generous and caring boss, was the orginal premises in Pritchett Street Aston?

Hi Dave Ed

Thanks for your reply, what production line did she work on she must have been dedicated to the the place to work at all three places, I worked at Eilot St and Plume St, so I may have met your wife whilst working there

Pudding

Hi Pudding.

yes Mr Mason was a nice guy, I also worked for his sister at Barnt Green and she was great too.
You may be right about Pritchett St but to be honest I was thinking Princip St that is why I put Aston.
At Aston they produced the Garden Sprayer and the Rotary Washing line,to date when I was there it was where we heard about the Busby Babes air crash at Munich.

Regards Acklam19

Hi Pudding,

It's more than likely that you know my wife,she worked in the Customer Service Dept.
What section did you work in?

Dave

Hi Dave Ed,

your wife must have known the two gentlemen that worked in that dept their names Bill Perkins and Bill Shingler?,as for myself working at A S L the works manger Mr G Hinks had us young lads working all over the place,machine shop,killaspray line,P2 line,Rotary line,I think there were two ladies that worked in what we call the spares and repairs.

pudding

Hi Pudding,

Bill Perkins yes and the other Bill was Bill Sread. The ladies that worked in there were Doreen Atwood,Dolly Hart,Lil Taylor & my wife.

What years did you work there?

Dave

Hi Dave Ed,

I started at A S L when they were in Eliot street 1969, and I left the company not long after they moved to Plume street in 1975.
also my Mother worked there on the Rotary line, she was working there before the fire in 1965.

pudding

I knew they moved in to the old lindley enginering co.the railway lamp makers works, the place i found a hidden room in the loft space that was used as headquarters for the fire watch/HomeGuard,.....while the place was empty i did a lot of mooching in there:grinning:......Just after moving in there ASL had a fire in the corner of the building,doing a lot of damage.i know this becouse my dads company was next door.
under asl was a huge concrete air raid shelter. that we used as kids for our den, lighting was of cause railway signal lamps:grinning:
but when asl moved into the premises they stopped us and filled the shelter with water.:mad:
2ad61732-fb14-11e5-815c-ec52721af0c9.jpg

Last edited:
Back