• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A recruitment parade in Corporation St

Re: A recrutement parade in Corporation St

Thank God for the "Cannon Fodder" without them, and this includes my young son, and his mates, we would never have anyone to defend our culture and realm, GOD BLESS EM , every one.
paul

I agree 100% Paul. What I was trying to say is... These Boys, and lasses now, get taken to the front line, they get killed and maimed. For what? to get thrown on the scrap heap. Any brave hero that fights for this county shouldn't want for nothing!

Sorry if I offended you

Dear Frothblower you could not possibly offend me or anyone else, I am sure. I was only passing my interpretation of armed conflict, any serving or served soldier will tell you only an idiot would not be frightened or intimidated by being included in action, but someone has to do it!! In a perfect world we would not need soldiers, airmen, or navy, unfortunately we live in an imperfect world. Happy New Year to you, your family, and all on the forum.
regards, paul

On the occasions we have been at Wooton Basset, only a fool would mention "cannon fodder", Iit is the same at Shugborough Hall when they stage the Proms type of evening. It is all very nostalgic and moving because those who care understand that all those who died or were severely wounded did it, for us.
God Bless them, each and every one of them.
stitcher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry have only been popping in and out of the forum over Christmas, asthma/chest infection making life difficult and my cousin and dear friend passed away at 7pm Christmas night so not in very festive mood.We knew it was going to happen but it doesn't make it any easier does it.

The above thread is Ok at present but with the content now becoming more about the present perhaps it will need watching.

I have been busy with family we had a house full yesterday over 30 people and we did curry and chilli it was great but very hard work. Later there was a problem with the electricity which has broken our Wii and sent the internet off until this morning. I have looked at this and corrected the miss spelled title. As you say Alberta one to be watched. I am so sorry to hear of the death of your friend I hope you can enjoy the memories you have.

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a very good Christmas; it's hard when people close to you pass away so close to Christmas.

With regard to the the thread, I agree Alberta. I thought it was all going to 'kick-off' yesterday, but somehow it pulled back from the edge. Certainly one to keep an eye on today I think.

[BTW, not connected to this, but I have spotted that there are now two threads on the library priority service. Spoken to John and I'll (attempt) to merge the two ]

Alberta, sorry to hear about your Christmas, it's difficult when something like that happens at a time when you should be enjoying yourself.
I saw the posts early this morning and was prepared to remove the irrelevant posts but was planning to discuss it with you first.

Colin

Re: A recruitment parade in Corporation St

Frothblower, you have insulted me three times and the last time I asked Postie to have a word with you, obviously to no avail. I did not specifically refer to you when I posted my last comment, it was merely a statement by which I stand rigidly. If you care to disprove the fact I have made you are welcome to attend the next re-patriation gathering at the new venue and tell people there about your Cannon Fodder theory. I dare you!!!!

It's kicking off now folk.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Thanks Colin just read the thread and think this is the usual conflict between Stitcher and Frothblower. Personally I couldn't understand Stitchers point but anyway it has no place on the thread.

All irrelevant posts have been removed for discussion by moderators. Please keep on topic.

Colin

Think Chris is upset

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Frothblower
Why was my post removed

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

Chris, Following discussion with the moderating team, I removed all irrelevant posts from the thread, the original subject was relating to a recruiting parade in WW1, not modern history, which has now got out of hand with personal comments been made against another members.
I'm afraid that any post which cause concern to other members will be removed by the moderating team.
if you consider this decision to be wrong please contact Postie (Jim)

Colin

Quite right Colin I sometimes wonder what people think we are here for!! This one could have got quite nasty!

Frankly, I have not seen any posts that are irrelevant on this thread. One sentiment was taken inncorrectly by some...but, in the aftermath of two world wars, it was a sentiment that was held by many to be valid. It did not reflect and does not, on the bravery of the men that faught...volunteers and conscripts and regulars. I think that in this day and age, what was happening in that picture would never occur and armies are made up of regular proffesional soldiers who are highly trained. Any war serious enough to require more than this would be over before a parade could be organised. No doubt there were Corporation Street type parades being held for the enemy also and most of them also would have never been close to a gun in their lives before. The sentiment in question merely pointed out that a very large proportion in parades on both sides...would never be seen again.

Well done Colin.
They all know the rules and they also know by now the kind of posts that are likely to cause conflict but it appears not to stop them making them.

Hi, just revisited thread and see that Rupert is putting his 2 pennuth in , now we have to watch it. LOL.

Last edited:
Frankly, I have not seen any posts that are irrelevant on this thread. One sentiment was taken inncorrectly by some...but, in the aftermath of two world wars, it was a sentiment that was held by many to be valid. It did not reflect and does not, on the bravery of the men that faught...volunteers and conscripts and regulars. I think that in this day and age, what was happening in that picture would never occur and armies are made up of regular proffesional soldiers who are highly trained. Any war serious enough to require more than this would be over before a parade could be organised. No doubt there were Corporation Street type parades being held for the enemy also and most of them also would have never been close to a gun in their lives before. The sentiment in question merely pointed out that a very large proportion in parades on both sides...would never be seen again.

I second that Rupert

All the best guys. Will be back in Midlands soon. I see Frothy has rejoined the debate.

Bernie

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

There was nothing at all wrong with the thread, in fact it had all the possibilities of getting more interesting.

Back