• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A pud by any other name.

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
As it's the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, this morning I picked the few apples our bramley deigned to produce this year. The apple pie now sits on the kitchen cupboard, we are expecting guests for dinner.

What do we call it? Pud, dessert. Nah, I just call it apple pie. In the 40's new people arrived in Woodall Road, they owned the large house on the corner, but it had always been rented out. They were from Kent, and had moved because they wanted to escape any bombs that might fall in Kent. The two children entertained us kids no end, their language was alien to us, and I'm sure they found us hard to understand.

They called pudding afters. We thought they had come from never never land.

Diana,
You've just got me thinking. When we had what they call "desserts" now, it was usually pudding: rice pudding, bread & butter pudding, or summat like that. As Brummies, I suppose we're lucky though cos we can have pudding with our main courses: black pudding with breakfast and Yorkshire pudding with dinner (lunch to some of them what's posh). I recall my wife's brother picking up with a Yorkshire girl, who insisted that Yorkshire pudding should be served as a "dessert" after the main course - ever heard anything so daft? Roast beef followed by Yorkshire pudding!!! :roll:

Yes my mum always made two Yorkshire puddings one to go with the beef and another sprinkled with sugar to go with the pud, afters, sweet, or what ever we used to call it. :lol:

The Yorkshire people I have known always serve their pud with lots of gravy in the well in the middle, and eat it before the beef. My mother-in-law always saved some to eat with jam for tea. :D

:D My mom lived for a time as a child in Yorkshire and many of my rallies still do. We had Yorkshire pud for both main and pud on Sundays. As Di said, with lots of gravy in the well with beef and lots of jam in the well for pud. 8) Mom would cook both at the same time in two dishes to save on the gas, the pud one would stay in the cooling down oven while we ate Sunday dinner.

Back