• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A Promise kept to a Fallen Soldier 100 years on

lindyloo

master brummie
I read a wonderful story on Facebook today, written by a dear old school friend of mine, about two Birmingham Soldiers and she has kindly given me permission to share it here....

"This tiny book belonged to a soldier who was killed in WW1. That soldier's best friend and fellow soldier promised him that he would return his belongings to his fiancee, on his return from the front. He carried out his promise and he and his friend's fiancee became sweethearts and eventually married. They became Paul's Grandparents. The little book was looked after by the couple who then passed it on to their daughter (Paul's Mum), and after her death 3 years ago we became its guardian. I have been on a mission ever since to return it to any relative of that soldier. I am so thrilled today to receive a letter from the soldiers nephew, (who is 91 years old) and never met his uncle, as he wasn't born until 1923! He has told me that he will look after it until it is passed to his Son. It just feels so right that it will be returned to him in the year that commemorates a 100 years since the First World War started. Thank you Herbert, for the sacrifice you made, and I hope you are pleased that your prayer book has been returned to its rightful owner."

1907578_10151863316192657_691542520_nM.jpg1796436_10151863316202657_140050772_nM.jpg

I also learnt that my friends husband has some wonderful photos and a War Diary which belonged to his Grandad. He rang the Warwickshire Regiment a few years ago and asked if they would be interested in the items, only to be told by the girl on the phone..
" No sorry we wouldn't be interested as we have loads of diaries" !!!!

I am allowed to share the information and photos here, if anyone would like to see them, but I also said I found it unbelievable that the Diary would be turned down by the Regiment.. and that I would ask on here if anyone knows of a good place that WOULD be interested in and appreciate the information and put it to good use..
If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them please... The Soldiers were from the 16th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment (3rd Birmingham City Battalion)

That is a fantastic story, I would love to see some picture and content if possible.

The British library have started a project where they are collecting diary's, they would welcome such an object with open arms. There diary's will be stored at the Bishopsgate institute in London, ill have a look for the details later today if your interested.

Last edited:
Thank You A Sparks and Morturn, I'm pleased that you both enjoyed it. :encouragement:

Morturn, I would indeed be interested in the British Library project information if you can find it for me please, I would like to collect a few ideas and let the gent concerned decide where he would like the diary to go, but that sounds ideal, Thanks again.
I will post some of those photos shortly.

Pte 1065 Herbert Arculus served with the 3rd Birmingham City Battalion, also known as the 16th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He was killed in action on the Somme on 26 September 1916 and is buried at the AIF Burial Ground near the village of Flers.

Thank you for the information Chris_Baker, I will make a note of it if, I may and send it to be included when the Prayer book is sent to it's rightful owner.

This is a photograph of Lance Corporal Percival Fox, b.1895, d.1976, of 53rd Royal Warwick Regiment, Birmingham Battalion.
In his pocket you can see his War Diary
1.jpg

This is a photograph of C. Company Lewis Gun Team, Arras, France, May 1916

2.jpg

From Left to right, S.Shields (Killed) H.Arculus (Killed) J.Fox (Wounded) C. Howe (Killed) ?.Wooton (Killed) P.Fox (Wounded)

This is a photograph of Lance Corporal Percival Fox, b.1895, d.1976, of 53rd Royal Warwick Regiment, Birmingham Battalion.
In his pocket you can see his War Diary
View attachment 91030
Hi All,

I doubt if this is a war diary In fact, it was an offence for other ranks to keep a diary in case they were captured and they had put information in useful to the enemy. Officers kept official diaries. L/Cpl Fox would not have carried the diary so openly. It is obvious that many soldiers ignored the regulation and now many are being published.

Old Boy

Hi Old Boy, Thank you for your post and the information :) I am unable to verify if it was or wasnt his Diary as I am only going on the information that I have been fortunate enough to be allowed to share,
This was his diary
1891163_10151863334467657_943852158_nM.jpg
and this is the description ".The Diary has a black soft cover, and the pages are not lined but appear to be graph paper of a poor ,pulp quality . The book measures 11cm by 17cm. and the Diary itself takes up 30 pages."

Details of The Great Diary project are on this website here; https://www.thegreatdiaryproject.co.uk/

To donate a diary or to discuss the donation of a diary please contact Bishopsgate Institute at;

Stefan Dickers
Bishopsgate Institute
230 Bishopsgate
City of London
EC2M 4QH
Tel; 020 7392 9270

I had a lovely conversation with my daughter in laws father the other day. He remembers many conversations with his wife's grandfather who survived WW1. They have a note book which he said was fading fast. I told him to photograph or scan each page, then put it away somewhere safe. I also told him the write down as much as he can remember. The best bit was he was born in Summer Lane. Hopefully one day it will be on here.

Morturn, Thank you very much for the information, I will pass that on..

If you would like to see the content, here is the link to Paul's website https://www.johnson46.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Scroll down to the third picture on the left.

Wendy, Thank you also for your input, hopefully he will do as you have suggested and preserve those memories. My Mom tells me things about her past and I'm forever saying "Please write it down Mom".. I am giving her a big note book at the weekend in the hope that she will.

The thing in his pocket is likely to be his paybook. Every man had to keep it there. It was used for issuing his pay, but also carried his vital details - name, number, next of kin, etc. The paybook was used by burial parties to assist in the identification of the man.

The photos are super, especially the one of the Lewis Gun team.

Have Been to the AIF Burial Ground cemetery, Flers, many times over the last few years and have seen the grave of L/Cpl Arculus many times. And somewhere in the hundreds of pictures I have taken on my visits I probably have a picture of his headstone. But at present cannot locate it.

Bellow are some of his fellow pals in the dining hall at Moseley College in 1915 and outside the main building

Terry

Attachments

• 0 3rd bham moseley.jpg
    0 3rd bham moseley.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 0 0 0 0 3rd Bham Dec1914.jpg
    0 0 0 0 3rd Bham Dec1914.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 16
Fantastic photo's to see such young individuals, many of whom perished I am sure, great close up of the British Army Ammunition boot.

The thing in his pocket is likely to be his paybook. Every man had to keep it there. It was used for issuing his pay, but also carried his vital details - name, number, next of kin, etc. The paybook was used by burial parties to assist in the identification of the man.

The photos are super, especially the one of the Lewis Gun team.

Thank you for the information Chris, I wil make a note of it and pass it on to Paul.
I am pleased that you like the photos.

Have Been to the AIF Burial Ground cemetery, Flers, many times over the last few years and have seen the grave of L/Cpl Arculus many times. And somewhere in the hundreds of pictures I have taken on my visits I probably have a picture of his headstone. But at present cannot locate it.

Bellow are some of his fellow pals in the dining hall at Moseley College in 1915 and outside the main building

Terry

it would be great to see that photo if ever you come across it Terry and thank you for posting those photos too, it makes me very sad to look at them and wonder how many didnt make it home. I know one of my ancestors didnt make it, he was just 19.

I have noticed another of my ancestors on the Birmingham Pals site, in William Whitmore's, Comrades of A Company list, he was
106 E. R. Pedlingham, No.1 Platoon No.4 section.
I had hoped to find another of my Pedlingham's but no luck sadly.

I left you a message on your visitors page Terry, not sure if you have seen it ?

Totally different to the Brigade of Foot Guards Issue, which in the early 60's had to be "bulled" top and underneath, with the studs being polished with emery paper.

It was Hereford.
The majority of those passing out from there went on to Oswestry though.
Lots more "bull" for them.

Back