• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A poem

F

Frantic

“Charlie-Mike-One Two: There’s a smash near Five Ways: Persons injured, two cars, are you free?”
“That’s Mike-One-Four Sarge’ “
“I know that!....he’s busy”
‘Yeh’….[I think]…. ‘getting sarnies’…..but I guess he’d do it for me.

ItÂ’s a quarter to nine, couldnÂ’t have picked a worse time, someone bumperÂ’s got bent IÂ’ll bet.
Injuries?... bloody noseÂ…. use lights and horns I suppose, and itÂ’s raining, and miserable, and wet.

I arrive at the scene, and fall into a dream, of carnage and blood and death. I just can’t believe it, I’m alone in the midst of it, “MOVE IT!!”. No time for a breath.

“Get out of the way! Let me through”. I say “Just move along if you please”.
Then I saw; a man of God; with a child; in his arms; on his knees.

“See to the others” he asks “This one’s gone I’m afraid……Do what you can….it’s a mess”.
Women screaming, noise overbearing, a woman with blood down her dress.

Three children I see, not moving and broken, I can see by their looks that theyÂ’re dead.
But I check for a pulse, a breath, a signÂ…..breathe a sigh, hold it back, hang my head.

“Mike-One Two….Charlie Two, at the scene……. need some help” from a voice sounding sad.
“I need ambulances, the inspector, traffic branch, whoever…..I can’t cope with this…..It’s bad.

What do I do, IÂ’m in charge, in control, expectations of me, dressed in blue.
Feeling useless, inept, a voyeur, what good’s my ‘First Aid’ to you?

I look to the woman with blood on her dress, deep in shock, catatonic, a Mother
Another one screaming in agony and pain, my guess would be, the other.

You see, they had started out the usual way, a bit late, Mom annoyed, acting the fool.
“What’s the big deal…..who cares if we’re late?.....we’re only going to school”.

“Get in!, put your belts on! Stop mucking about!, we’re already late for school”.
Between the sisters a look; the belts they un-hook; wearing them ‘Just isn’t cool’.

So off they went, the scene was now set, for the tragedy soon to unfold.
Two moms with their belts on, four kids with them notÂ…..today, kids just wonÂ’t be told.

They were both running late, for the lights, one wonÂ’t wait, puts her foot down, sure sheÂ’ll get through.
Then an almighty crash, and shattering of glass as the bodies went on, through and through.

Police bikes arrive, along the pavements they came, the traffic too slow to pass.
Now we can get some things sorted out, I think “Thank God….some help at last”.

Ambulance, fire, eventually get through, local doctors and nurses as well.
The priest came to thank me, and I felt ashamed, I should have done more, time will tell.

ItÂ’s been thirty four years since that awful day, and the sadness doesnÂ’t get any less.
But the memoryÂ’s now fuzzy, un-focused, myopic, but will never go completely, I guess.

I think of those mothers and the pain and the guilt, over the years that theyÂ’ve had to endure.
That they killed their own children not intentionally I know, but a heavy cross to bear:
IÂ’m sure.

I think of the girls, theyÂ’d be all grown up now, and the joy of motherhood having felt.
With kids of their own and a husband and home, but for a safety belt.

This story is closed, for me, anyway; but in it the message IÂ’m sending.
Buckle up, every time, even short trips, take the time, ‘cause this story don’t have a happy ending.

Frantic, that is a sad poem and it is obvious it is still very much in your memory - and who could forget such a tragedy.
I agree that seat belts should be strictly used, but if the little ones unbuckle themselves without the driver/parent's knowledge - well.
I remember my daughter saying to a friend of mine when she was little "Mummy forget to belt me up this morning!" I got a bit of a surprised look from my friend I can tell you. Fortunately I hadn't gone far up our driveway when I realised. But I'm sure the rumour went around that I belted my daughter :)

Send to ROSPA please

Frantic thats such a mind blowing account of what you experienced.

The depth of what you saw and felt combined with the simplicity of its prevention.

I'm not sure if you know, but there is a 'law' coming out here in September 2006 that says that children under 12 or under a certain height will need to be on a booster seat for seatbelts to be effectively worn. I say a 'law' - cus it wont actually be enforced until the majority of people do it voluntarily - then it can be enforced as a law(its the way such laws work :-\)

I'm sure your account of what you saw - and how its displayed from many angles - would assist ROSPA in getting people to voluntarily 'belt up' their children...............

Accidents may not always be preventable, but no one should have to witness such carnage as a child (or anyone)going through a windowscreen, through the lack of wearing a seat belt :'(

Frantic, That really hits home and I hope makes a lot of people think.

Back