• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A Poem for Remembrance Day

dib44

master brummie
A Poem for Remembrance Day

"The inquisitive mind of a child"
poppy.gif
Why are they selling poppies, Mummy?
Selling poppies in town today.

The poppies, child, are flowers of love.
For the men who marched away.

But why have they chosen a poppy, Mummy?
Why not a beautiful rose?

Because my child, men fought and died
In the fields where the poppies grow.

But why are the poppies so red, Mummy?
Why are the poppies so red?

Red is the colour of blood, my child.
The blood that our soldiers shed.

poppy.gif
The heart of the poppy is black, Mummy.
Why does it have to be black?

Black, my child, is the symbol of grief.
For the men who never came back.

But why, Mummy are you crying so?
Your tears are giving you pain.

My tears are my fears for you my child.
For the world is forgetting again.

Author Unknown

Dib,

what a beautiful poem and such a wonderful tribute at this time of the year. Did you know that some poppies have yellow and black at the centre? Together with the red petals they also form the colours of Belgium's flag.

I live in Flanders and I can assure you that the Belgian people do not forget. The 11th of November has always been a national holiday of remembrance here even if it doesn't fall on a Sunday. This year it's on Tuesday.

Graham.

It was at Flanders fields where the poppies grew and the petals blown around the fields of the men that died which brought us to use them as an emblem...Cat

Perfect special poem for Remembrance Day. Sadly, the children are not being taught enough about past wars. I listened to a programme yesterday on the radio and was very shocked by the low percentages of certain demographics of the population who have none or very minimal knowledge of WW1 and WW2 in Canada.
We must do more.

On Tuesday we will take a day to remember those who gave their lives for us
and are giving them today.

I've been very tearful today and now this has started me off again. x x

I only discovered the poem myself last Saturday, in the Saturday edition of the Daily Express they have a "Forgotten Verse" corner, where readers who can remember a few lines of a poem but not all, or indeed the title, write in and the Daily Express print the poem in full, when it was written and by whom.

Sadly this poem is "Author Unknown"

A rather poignant poem methinks.

dibs

Hi Dib,
Thank you for sharing the very moving poem.
Thinking of my grandfather George Abraham Ward from Aston.
Died in France April 1917 while serving with the Worcestershire Regt.
One of those not mentioned in the Birmingham Hall of Memory.

Kind regards,
George in Melbourne

Back