• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A new map of Birmingham, early 1830s

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
Has anyone written already about the new copy of the first edition of the 1" Ordnance Survey maps, just published by Cassini Publishing Ltd, which seems to be an arm of the OS office at Southampton, since it is printed by them at Southampton. Although the original maps were only 1 inch to the mile, they are enlarged about 2.5 times, and seamlessly spliced together to match the area covered by the modern 1:2500 'Explorer' map, with the modern grid faintly superimposed in blue.
Being that much enlarged all the detail becomes much clearer to see, and the quality of reproduction is up to OS standard. The publishers rightly make a disclaimer about surveying accuracy, and warn that grid references used on modern maps may not quite fit the old maps, but they have terrific detail.
The original maps copied were dated 1831 to 1835, so the the most notable features are the road, canals and rivers - not the Tame Valley Canal from Salford Bridge to Bescot of course, as that was built in the 1840s.
In the past it has been possible to refer to the 'Village Atlas' published by the Aldermasn Press in 1989, but the reproduction was much poorer.
The price of the new map may seem a bit steep at £6.49, but I think it's well worth it, being a map nutter.
Peter

maps

Ive bought one of these Old Series maps and I am very pleased with it Peter, Ive also sent for one of the Popular Edition maps it should arrive in the next day or two.

I got the one between 1805 and 1874 Brilliant
(Here is a small section from it )

Last edited by a moderator:
Great tip, Peter. I will order one myself, on the Cassini website, I expect,
I love the old maps, those old cartographers were really great draftsman and artists

Ive just sent for the Past And Present edition of the Birmingham map.... Cant wait for it to come.

Hi Rod,
Let us know what you think of the maps. The detail seem marvelous. I still have to order a couple. The present exchange rate keeps me in check :)

Note: I gave in, and just ordered Birmingham in both the Old series and the Popular series. I can't wait to see for myself, now!

I have all the cassini maps that centre on Birmingham, I have no doubt this new one will be excellent.

Back