• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A Lost Memorial

wam

master brummie
This appeared on Facebook in a post from the Ark Tindal Primary Academy.
"This beautiful plaque, commemorating the ultimate sacrifice made by the old boys of Tindal Street school in the Great War, has sadly not been sighted for some years. We would love to see it returned to the school for permanent display. If you have any information about its whereabouts, please contact the Academy on 0121 464 3049. "
1573730909564.png
The last I know of it, it was in the Tindal Old Boys Club on Moseley Road which has since been demolished and replaced by a garage which has also been demolished. The picture shown was sent to Tindal School by the British War Memorial Association. So far there is no information about where the picture was taken or when. If anyone knows what happened to it, would they please contact the school (see above).

hope they locate this plaque...looking at the photo of it and looking at the background it looks to me as though it has been removed from the building in the photo which looks like it is empty and ready for demo so it could have been taken outside the tindal boys club especially as it seems that the club was the last sighting of it....

good luck with the search so sad that these plaques mean so very little these days and all too often they end up in a skip...

lyn

Lyn,

Slightly off-topic, I know, but we are now facing the problem that there are relatively few survivors from those who fought in WW2 and all are now in their 90s. As schools, clubs and similar institutions are closed and often demolished, any memorials should be removed and put into safe keeping, and the IWM advised of that location.

Maurice :cool:

Lyn,

Slightly off-topic, I know, but we are now facing the problem that there are relatively few survivors from those who fought in WW2 and all are now in their 90s. As schools, clubs and similar institutions are closed and often demolished, any memorials should be removed and put into safe keeping, and the IWM advised of that location.

Maurice :cool:

yes maurice in an ideal world this is what would and should happen but as we all know from various memorial plaque threads on here this does not always happen and it really is a shame..for me i dont really care how much time has elapsed since the two world wars ended people should show more respect for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for their countries and do the right thing by thm..right thats me of me soap box :D

lyn

Last edited:
if anyone fancies a good read click on the link below...this forum has achieved so many things regarding the history of birmingham but none so more as when we managed to get the fallen erdington postal workers plaque rededicated..it promoted a lot of media coverage from tv and press .. most of the families of the fallen were found and attended the service...great day for us all..it is a long thread but best to read from post 1 so you know the whole story and all of the research we carried out..the only reason i have posted this on this thread is to say that if this latest lost plaque is found then it is not impossible to have it rededicated...good luck

Last edited:
There seem to be different rules about what happens to old memorials depending on where they were and who put them there. I remember asking around at the time the Methodists plaque was found and it seems memorials in churches are reported to the ruling body of the church. Apparently the Methodists have several old memorials in storage. This one would have been a private memorial so, maybe, it wouldn't normally be reported. At some point the IWM must have had some contact because they had the picture at the top of the article. They don't seem to know what happened to the memorial because they went to the school asking them about it. I got this because the school asked the local history society and the the last sighting we have is in some old black and white pictures of the inside of the old boy's club.

A few years back I was in Greymouth NZ and horrified to see a WW1 school memorial lying in pieces by the side of the road. It was really upsetting to think that there was so little respect left for the lives that were being commemorated. I asked the friend we were staying with if he knew what was going on. It seems that an unscrupulous property developer had decided to demolish them under cover of darkness without consultation while a preservation order was being purued! It caused quite a stir and the town was in uproar. Its a long story but with a happy ending with the memorial being recovered andw resited. For anyone interested in the background I've attached a link below. Which conta

Back