• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tower Street Newtown

Hi Josie
Although I live in Lanzarote I do call my aunt regular so will ask her about what you’ve said. She gave me these details at the weekend and I typed them straight in while she was telling me. She was the youngest in the family and is now 86. My Nans name was Mary, she was Auntie Annies sister. What a small world it is. My aunt went on to work at Benton and Stones, as did my Dad and my Mom. He lived in Theodore Street opposite the Salvation Army place. Mom and Dad met at the Birmingham Settlement.
I love hearing about how it was then.
Kind regards
Karen

if anyone is interested we have a large thread for lower tower st...not so sure though that tower st came under hockley i thought it was newtown but i stand to be corrected

Hello Astoness,
I was born and raised in Tower Street, Hockley, 1948, until we left (due to demolition of the back to back houses) in the very late fifties, then moved to Perry Barr, where we had one indoor toilet apposed to an outdoor toilet shared between 3 families, a bathroom apposed to a tin bath shared every Saturday evening, and an actual kitchen for mum instead of a broom cupboard. (All remembered as great times)
After the demolition of the houses, pubs, Church (St. George’s) and school in Hockley, came a rebuild of the area during the sixties which was then renamed as ‘New town’ (pretty clever by the council, don’t you think?.)

Back