• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tower Street Newtown

jimbo

master brummie
Would/could anyone help with cleaning up this photo of my wife when she was a toddler. It was taken at 2/37 Tower Street, she thinks about 1946. As you can see there is a message welcoming Mick home from the War, and the lady in the photo, Mrs Horsley, was know to everyone as auntie Annie, she was also Mick's mother.

Attachments

• img074.jpg
    img074.jpg
    937.5 KB · Views: 81
Morturn, Lovely job, many thanks, that's smashing. It was taken in Tower Street Hockley, 2/37 (2 back of 37) the wife thinks in about 1946. As you can see she was a little charmer!!

i guessed it was for that reason jimbo..a wonderful bit of post war history and i bet mrs horsley was so happy to have her mick back safely

lyn

Welcome Uncle Frank.
My wife left Tower Street in 1953 and moved to Tile Cross. I don't suppose you remember them as you said you were only two. Their surname is Phillips and her dad is still going strong aged 100, he always had a Motor bike, and still has a Triumph Tiger Cub but sadly can no longer ride it.

Attachments

• Joe's photos 026.jpg
    Joe's photos 026.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 36
Welcome Uncle Frank.
My wife left Tower Street in 1953 and moved to Tile Cross. I don't suppose you remember them as you said you were only two. Their surname is Phillips and her dad is still going strong aged 100, he always had a Motor bike, and still has a Triumph Tiger Cub but sadly can no longer ride it.
wow

Would/could anyone help with cleaning up this photo of my wife when she was a toddler. It was taken at 2/37 Tower Street, she thinks about 1946. As you can see there is a message welcoming Mick home from the War, and the lady in the photo, Mrs Horsley, was know to everyone as auntie Annie, she was also Mick's mother.
Welcome Uncle Frank.
Well believe it or not ,out of all my Family I have amazing recall and remember pretty much everything. I tell every body about Auntie Annie and I remembered her name before you quoted it. However the name Philips does escape me!I have a picture im frantically trying to find of a few kids stood by those bins, we left late 1953 when I was 3 1/2. You came thru a ginnel and the shared toilets were on the right,then allotments we used to play in studying cabbage caterpillars as ours was the last row of back to backs. I had the job of putting the daily herald on string for the toilets and going into coal hole beneath lounge for cooking grange. Annie used to mother us 3 kids,and always primed the mouse traps on our window sill! I think your dating is a little early as lots of Service personal inc my dad did not come back from occupied Germany till the 50s. As for Mick ,unles he had one hand i do not remember him. My sister used to go to the sops to get his snuff,which he snorted off his stump! Also out in Tower Street there was a hard surface playground,park .. that had a dismantled steam traction unit we played on. This was STILL there 15 years ago

Flippin ekk Joe my heartiest congratulations on reaching 100 and for owning my favourite bike a tiger cub, would be amazing to meet him when the world is safe again

Well believe it or not ,out of all my Family I have amazing recall and remember pretty much everything. I tell every body about Auntie Annie and I remembered her name before you quoted it. However the name Philips does escape me!I have a picture im frantically trying to find of a few kids stood by those bins, we left late 1953 when I was 3 1/2. You came thru a ginnel and the shared toilets were on the right,then allotments we used to play in studying cabbage caterpillars as ours was the last row of back to backs. I had the job of putting the daily herald on string for the toilets and going into coal hole beneath lounge for cooking grange. Annie used to mother us 3 kids,and always primed the mouse traps on our window sill! I think your dating is a little early as lots of Service personal inc my dad did not come back from occupied Germany till the 50s. As for Mick ,unles he had one hand i do not remember him. My sister used to go to the sops to get his snuff,which he snorted off his stump! Also out in Tower Street there was a hard surface playground,park .. that had a dismantled steam traction unit we played on. This was STILL there 15 years ago

Welcome Uncle Frank.
Jimbo, my mom also lived in Tower Street. There name was Pearce, Jack Pearce, emigrated to Oz but came back, albeit some years later, Mary Pearce, Kathleen Pearce, Beatrice Pearce, Ivy Pearce and my Uncle Tom who was my Nanas first child Tommy Warrilow. My Mom used to talk about the Birmingham Settlement and dancing. She used to frequent the pictures a lot with my Dad. She has a friend called Ray Bustin who she used to dance with. my dads family lived in Theodore Street and when Mom and Dad married they lived above a hairdresser in Summer Lane.

Hi ,
Surprise surprise,
We lived at 4/37 tower street in 1952 ,I was two years old and I remember Annie Horsley to this day.
We affectionately called her Auntie Annie
My Mom lived in Tower Street too Kathleen Pearce. She had sisters Mary, Beatrice, Ivy and brother Jack and Tommy

Jimbo, my mom also lived in Tower Street. There name was Pearce, Jack Pearce, emigrated to Oz but came back, albeit some years later, Mary Pearce, Kathleen Pearce, Beatrice Pearce, Ivy Pearce and my Uncle Tom who was my Nanas first child Tommy Warrilow. My Mom used to talk about the Birmingham Settlement and dancing. She used to frequent the pictures a lot with my Dad. She has a friend called Ray Bustin who she used to dance with. my dads family lived in Theodore Street and when Mom and Dad married they lived above a hairdresser in Summer Lane.
Karen, it's me again, the Cavalier kid. What a small World it is. I will ask my father in law on Saturday if he remembers any of the names, he might be 101 but his memory is fine. Oh, and just to clarify for everyone, he's in our "bubble".

if anyone is interested we have a large thread for lower tower st...not so sure though that tower st came under hockley i thought it was newtown but i stand to be corrected

Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

Karen, it's me again, the Cavalier kid. What a small World it is. I will ask my father in law on Saturday if he remembers any of the names, he might be 101 but his memory is fine. Oh, and just to clarify for everyone, he's in our "bubble".
Hi Karen, spoke with the F-in L but he has no recollection of any of the names. They left Tower Street in 1951 and moved to Tile Cross. What number did your family live at in Tower Street?

Hi Jim
I’m not sure my only surviving aunt is 86. I will give her a call on Saturday. She remembers a lot. I’ll let you know
Hope you are well
Regards
Karen

Jimmy
My Auntie said they lived at 3/79 3 back of 79Tower Street , not far from St George’s Church and the school and was related to Micky Horsley as he was their cousin and Auntie Annie was my Nanas sister
Best regards
Karen

My aunt said auntie nell lived there too and she was my nanas sister and her name was Clark. She had a daughter named Nelly and married someone with last name Male and had three children

My aunt said auntie nell lived there too and she was my nanas sister and her name was Clark. She had a daughter named Nelly and married someone with last name Male and had three children
Karbug, thank you. I will ask Joe if he remembers them. You could ask your auntie if she remembers any of the Phillips's, Joe, Frank, Sid, Ted, Tom, Doris Laura, or the Ashmores, Aggie, Jack, Doris, Lily, Gwen, Ida, Margaret, June, Jack jn. Aggie and jack had a fruit shop in Farm Street. According to the wife, Auntie Annie lived up their yard (2/37) and sometimes looked after them.

Karbug, thank you. I will ask Joe if he remembers them. You could ask your auntie if she remembers any of the Phillips's, Joe, Frank, Sid, Ted, Tom, Doris Laura, or the Ashmores, Aggie, Jack, Doris, Lily, Gwen, Ida, Margaret, June, Jack jn. Aggie and jack had a fruit shop in Farm Street. According to the wife, Auntie Annie lived up their yard (2/37) and sometimes looked after them.
img074 re-do.jpg Karbug, this is the wife "up their yard". If you look closely there is a message on the wall " welcome home Mick" this refers to Mick Horsley, and the wife said that is Auntie Annie in the background

If I remember right my auntie said auntie annie had sisters, Mary, my Nan, auntie Kate I remember lived in Kings Road, Kingstanding, the name Rene Barron rings a bell. I’ll ring my aunt again soon

Karbug hello I’m Jimmys wife;I lived at 2/37 Tower Street ; next door to us next to the brew house was a family named Male. I used to play with the daughter named Thelma. My dad always had a motorbike, he’s still got a Triumph Tiger Cub although he is no longer able to ride it.Auntie Annie took us to a school where she was a cleaner when she looked after us in the school holidays. I think it was in Lower Tower Street not sure though. She was a lovely lady. PS there is a photo of my dad on his motorbike on # 8.

Back