• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rolph A J

inverness ON 2018-03-31

proper brummie kid
Hi again
So this is another post without any success im guessing
A j rolph worked at tucker fasteners from 1940 untill 1968, he lived at allens Rd, winston green
Worked with and knew Vera fitszpatrick and tommy both dead now
Surley someone who worked for a company for nearly 30 years must be known or rembered by someone
Thanks

this is the problem going back so far...i would suspect that a lot who worked with aj rolph are no longer with us....even if he worked with young 20 year olds they would be getting on a bit now...my dad worked there during the same time but he passed away in 2013 but good luck and fingers crossed

lyn

Last edited:
Arthur John Rolph was born on 13th November 1915, possibly illegitimate as his mothers maiden name was Rolph.
He was living alone at 32 Allens Road in 1962 but in 1965 the Fitzpatricks were at the same address with Arthur.
His death was registered in June 1969 but his birth was given incorrectly as 13th November 1914.

HI Ya Alberta
Thank you for that , i do have that information , i guess i just hoped someone might be left with some memories of him as i never knew him, still trying to find out what a tool room hardener is and what his house looked like in allens rd, frontage wise
many thanks

HI Ya Alberta
Thank you for that , i do have that information , i guess i just hoped someone might be left with some memories of him as i never knew him, still trying to find out what a tool room hardener is and what his house looked like in allens rd, frontage wise
many thanks
Tool room hardener...since I'm a tool & diemaker, known in the UK as a toolmaker. I can offer some assistance. The reference is probably to the hardening of steels used to produce products in a multitude of industries. Here in Canada and the US, most toolrooms do not do the hardening process in house, but are sent to facilities that specialize in what is known as heat treating. When I lived in the UK, we would do our own hardening. However, steel as advanced so much over the last 30 years or so, the process of hardening has become a more complex and specialized operation. Hope this helps...
Dave A

My Dad would have possibly remembered him as he was at Tuckers from the late 40's until the 80's when he retired but I'm afraid he's not still living or I'd ask him.
Hope someone can help.

Hi
Do you recall what the wages was like, working conditions
Would there have been staff photos kept and now online somewhere?
Did it welcome ex service men?
Finally was there a train station near by?

Perry Barr station would be the nearest, about 10 minutes walk from Tuckers.
That's on the line from New Street to Walsall and also Wolverhampton now I see.

Do you have the 1939 entry
The Union Club, Colmore row Birmigham.
Arthur J Rolph b 13th November 1915 , Porter-Waiter.

Also his death was registered in Solihull quite a way from Winson green , but his probate lists his death
32 Allens Road , Winson green , 5th june 1969, Administration 28th Oct, £2000.

Search of Electoral rolls for 1945 at 8 Victoria Avenue, Sparkbrook Birmingham has
Arthur j Rolph with Lilian A Rolph

At 32 Allens road rolls have in 1950/1955/1957/1960
Arthur J Rolph with Lilian A A Rolph.

Last edited:
Back