• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A J Follows & Son Dairy Harborne Lane

DaveF

Brummie babby
Hello folks,

I'm new here so if this is the wrong forum for this subject I hope you'll forgive me. When I was a kid there was a dairy, or at least a milk distribution point, in Harborne Lane not far from Monks's scrap yard. They had a big fleet of electric milk floats there, and for a little while I had a weekend job helping one of the milkmen. He only paid me 3 shillings, but it had to do, as Barker and Barnes the Newsagents didn't have any paper rounds available!

Sad when your memory starts to go, ain't it. I've been trying to remember the name of the Dairy, was it Fallows or was it Follows? I can't even remember what colour the vans were now either, poor ol' devil. Can somebody put me out of my misery? :pride:

That's amazing Horsencart, thanks a lot. I didn't even know such a directory existed!

I visited the museum at Wythall some years ago but didn't see any electric vehicle there at the time. I live in South Australia so it's a bit tricky popping over for another look. :)

The Kelly's directory lasted from 1850--1974 and are a very good source of information for a researcher they were published in all the major towns and city,s they do not have every ones name listed in the directory,s but there are a quite a few,
It is really only the last few years that the museum has taken an active part in saving the Electric Milk float mainly due to work of one chap, these day the electric milk float is becoming as rare a rocking horse dropping,s

That's amazing Horsencart, thanks a lot. I didn't even know such a directory existed!

I visited the museum at Wythall some years ago but didn't see any electric vehicle there at the time. I live in South Australia so it's a bit tricky popping over for another look. :)

Ah yes, of course! I did know about the Kelly's directory but had quite forgotten. Thanks again for jogging my memory.

From what I see on their web site the Wythall museum has really developed since I saw it, which is great. I'd love it if they presented photos and full details of each of the vehicles they have, restored or otherwise - that would be the icing on the cake.

Morning,
I've an old milk bottle come into my possession - A. J. Follows & Son, Harborne. I have tried to find info on the dairy with a view to trying to guage how old the bottle is. I have had a quick look on the internet but with little success - and wondered if any members here had any information on this dairy.
Thank you,
Andrea.

The earliest mention that I can find is 1930, and in 1934 they were at Metchley Park Farm. Looks like they produced milk and used bottles made for them?

Morning,
I've an old milk bottle come into my possession - A. J. Follows & Son, Harborne. I have tried to find info on the dairy with a view to trying to guage how old the bottle is. I have had a quick look on the internet but with little success - and wondered if any members here had any information on this dairy.
Thank you,
Andrea.
You may have already seen the post on the forum under:

The Dairy in Harborne Lane​

May be of interest.

Back