• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A House Through Time

Both series have highlighted subjects that have been touched on in the Forum. Transportation, slavery, children being sent to Canada, and others.

A Birmingham connection in episode 4; a Brummie bought the house and there was another Brummie friend living in the Square ! Viv.

has anyone seen this new series...it follows the life of the people who lived in one house in liverpool from 1840...ive just watched the first episode on i player and found it very good...great presenter as well....cant wait for next thursday..

lyn

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09l64zg/a-house-through-time-series-1-episode-1
Lyn, just looked at a few clips……very interesting program! Unfortunately the BBC player does not work in the US. We are contributors to our local Public Television stations so maybe they can help, as we get most of the other BBC/ATV (?) programming.

Enjoy!

Not yet. I will watch it on IPlayer as a box set. I really love this series.
I wish that he would do a Birmingham house.

One of the residents of the Leeds house this week ran a dry salting business. I had come across this term just recently and assumed that it meant something to do with preserving meats . In fact this person was dealing with chemicals and dyes. It has made me think about how salts were used in the past with such things as Fynnons Salts, liver salts. Home made cures? with sulphur. Gargling with permanganate of potash. Blue bags for washing. I think we used borax to rinse hair.

I agree. Two of the series have been about town's I am familiar with. I would think the next choice must be birmingham - if they can find a suitable house that is still standing!!

One of the residents of the Leeds house this week ran a dry salting business. I had come across this term just recently and assumed that it meant something to do with preserving meats . In fact this person was dealing with chemicals and dyes. It has made me think about how salts were used in the past with such things as Fynnons Salts, liver salts. Home made cures? with sulphur. Gargling with permanganate of potash. Blue bags for washing. I think we used borax to rinse hair.
The last dry Salters I remember was George Hull and Co. As you correctly say, they sold all sorts of chemicals for the building industry and others.

I used to go there for shellac for French polish, whiting, caustic soda, meths, turpentine and white oil.

BHF could pick an old house and do one of their own.

Googled Early Victorian House Edgbaston, and a sale of one came up for 2020 and on Bristol Road.
Quick look gives..

In 1915 detailed Household furniture sold for "Green Bank"
1894 death of chap called Wykes.
1890 Charwoman wanted.
1885 death of Peter Roxburgh. House description can be found. Seem to be leasehold.
1882 general servant wanted.

Peter Roxburgh in 1881 census (60), born in Scotland, Retired Brass founder.

Last edited:
BHF could pick an old house and do one of their own.

Googled Early Victorian House Edgbaston, and a sale of one came up for 2020 and on Bristol Road.
Quick look gives..

In 1915 detailed Household furniture sold for "Green Bank"
1894 death of chap called Wykes.
1890 Charwoman wanted.
1885 death of Peter Roxburgh. House description can be found. Seem to be leasehold.
1882 general servant wanted.

Peter Roxburgh in 1881 census (60), born in Scotland, Retired Brass founder.
"Who lives in a house like this?"

Tinpot, being on a sodium (salt) reduced diet we read the label on all packaged food including tins (which usually have very high sodium). Salt is everywhere the more you look the more you find. Unfortunately we have become to rely on it for so many things!

Back