• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A House Through Time

An interesting reference to “sadlers” of Walsall undercutting the Liverpool Trade by the use of female labour!

Also the “kitchen cabinet” brought back some memories.

Yes Pedro I've just watched it too. Very sad to see the house deteriorating. Interesting that it was donated to the RAF. Was wondering if the rents went to the RAF, or just the building. Viv.

this 4 parter has to be one of the most entertaining programmes i have seen in a long time especially good for those of us who love old buildings and interested in family research ...great presenter as well...:)

lyn

this 4 parter has to be one of the most entertaining programmes i have seen in a long time especially good for those of us who love old buildings and interested in family research ...great presenter as well...:)

lyn

It is billed as Series 1, so let’s hope for a second series in Birmingham!

yes pedro lets hope birmingham may feature on day although anywhere will do for me:)

i would love to find out about the people who lived in our house in villa st before us froth..it dated to around 1850/60 same with the back to back house i was born in....i am going to get in touch with the bbc and congratulate them on a job well done...not often i am moved to do that:D

Good on yer Lyn. As you and Pedro have said, be great to see one about a Birmingham building. Think these would be my Brum nominations:

The Golden Lion, Cannon Hill
Rowton House - now a hotel
Canal Office (row of buildings) on Fazeley Street

Viv.

I was surprised to see that the house was almost completely lost after the war. Someone had the sense to rebuild the Georgian terrace after the bombing. I think it showed that there were only 3 houses left. Our lot would've knocked those down and built a road!

pen hunters road is 2 roads from where i lived in villa st and has quite a few georgian houses...i know 2 people who lived in them during the 50s to the 70s houses still there...was talking to one of them only last week and she said the house was massive..it would have to be as there were 9 children in her family.:eek:

That's good news Lyn. I haven't been that way for some time so I will have a look. I think I once read that some of the houses in Lozells (am I in the right area?) were better built than in some parts of 'Newtown'. Some of the landowners only sold the land on the condition that no back houses were built. I also think that in many cases in other areas the good went out with the bad in mass clearances. Very sad.

oh it is pedro.....that view of hunters road is one i grew up with...i think if we take the time to research the areas we lived in most will have some historical interest... i have a big folder full of information containing maps..photos and newspaper articles as ive spent many years researching this area as its my neck o the woods in fact i have family living around there from at least 1851 to when i left in 1972 apart from which i want to know what what was going on there before i landed :D

Back