• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A good walk down memory lane

Key Hill Brian

Proud Brummie
Passed tnhis place 7 days a week when travelling Birchfield - saltey on shifts, and uised the bank on the corner often, but had a guided tour there middle of last year - lovely place - Birmingham's 3rd cemetery (R.C.), Cemetery chapel later made parish church has Pugin connections.
Some nice headstones still there, but suffering thefts, vandalism & poor congregations now.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
what a lovely interesting site rowan...thanks for pointing it out to us..

lyn

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
Yesterday I watched a TV film about Warwick Castle, and it reminded me that, around the age of 14, 1948/49, I read in the Birmingham Mail that they were making a film at Warwick Castle, and that it featured Tyrone Power.

A couple of friends and myself cycled over to Warwick, and after a bit of a wait at the street side entrance, we made our way up the drive to the castle Keep. I remember it was draped in medieval flags hanging down from the tower, and there were film crew hanging around, and we just caught sight of Tyrone Power, talking with some of the other actors.

I cannot remember the film they were making, but with a war just behind us, and American actors in Warwick, we found it very exciting.

Eddie

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
The film would have been The Black Rose, released in 1950. The cast also included Orson Wells, Cecile Aubry, Jack Hawkins, Michael Rennie, Finlay Currie, Herbert Lom, James Robertson Justice and Laurence Harvey. Warwick Castle was Gurney Castle in the film.

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
Thanks for that. Jukebox: You have mentioned a lot of famous actors there. I cannot honestly say I saw any of the other names, apart from Tyrone Power.

Eddie

Jayell

master brummie
I wonder if Tyrone Power was staying at the Grand Hotel in Birmingham when he was making that film Norfolk Brummie? My auntie was head receptionist at the Grand at the time (would have been late 40s) and got me his autograph.

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
Quite possibly, Jayell. The dates sound about right.

Also some of the other actors mentioned by jukebox (#6) could also have been staying there.

Eddie

Jayell

master brummie
Its quite possible that other actors involved in that film were staying at the Grand at that time Eddie. My auntie used to meet lots of film and theatre people when she worked there as it was, at that time, probably the biggest hotel in the town centre. I got quite a few autographs as well!!

Judy

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
Its quite possible that other actors involved in that film were staying at the Grand at that time Eddie. My auntie used to meet lots of film and theatre people when she worked there as it was, at that time, probably the biggest hotel in the town centre. I got quite a few autographs as well!!

Judy

Have you still got them, Judy?

Worth a few 'bob' today!

Eddie