• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Book : Victorian & Edwardian Birmingham in old photos D McCulla

dch1950

Hi everyone,
I have been using the forum on an occasional basis for several years and have always been impressed by the detail that it contains. My particular interest relates to Victorian Birmingham and I would like to recommend the following publication to forum members.
It is a book by Dorothy McCULLA, entitled "Victorian and Edwardian Birmingham from old photographs" and covers the period 1867 - 1913.
I was born in 1950, and raised in Alum Rock - 22 Raymond Road, and later my parents moved to Erdington where they lived at my granparents house at 2 Station Road, also now demolished and replaced by an infants school.
I have not returned to Brum for many years and doubt I would recognise it now, but what I do appreciate is the description and pictures of Birmingham in the 50's presented on this forum, that I can remember (just !)
Thank you for this.
regards
Dave Hickman

Hi David

I am afraid you will not be able to visit Raymond Road again, as it is no longer there.
It has been demolished and built over. I used to know a family by the name Foyle but
I do not remember the number.
Regards
Harry

Agreed Dave. The book is very interesting and full of wonderful photos - I also have it!

Judy

Hi everyone,
I have been using the forum on an occasional basis for several years and have always been impressed by the detail that it contains. My particular interest relates to Victorian Birmingham and I would like to recommend the following publication to forum members.
It is a book by Dorothy McCULLA, entitled "Victorian and Edwardian Birmingham from old photographs" and covers the period 1867 - 1913.
I was born in 1950, and raised in Alum Rock - 22 Raymond Road, and later my parents moved to Erdington where they lived at my granparents house at 2 Station Road, also now demolished and replaced by an infants school.
I have not returned to Brum for many years and doubt I would recognise it now, but what I do appreciate is the description and pictures of Birmingham in the 50's presented on this forum, that I can remember (just !)
Thank you for this.
regards
Dave Hickman
looks a good book have get this one

Hi David

I am afraid you will not be able to visit Raymond Road again, as it is no longer there.
It has been demolished and built over. I used to know a family by the name Foyle but
I do not remember the number.
Regards
Harry

From 2008 ...........

Attachments

• youngs-554.jpg
    youngs-554.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 59
Hi everyone I have just received my copy of Victorian and Edwardian Birmingham. Love the book and the photos. My mum was born in 1912. I was wondering can anyone recommend another book with photos from that time slot please.
Thanks Bev

Back