• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A drive around Birmingham in the 1950s

brilliant brings back so many memories from the 50's but had forgotten that traffic jam's were as bad then thanks ragga.

Keep on finding them for us please,Ragga!

If you look at the New Street scenes its obvious that if you a had a white or light coloured car that was considered very swish. Nowadays the car to be seen in is one that is coloured black!

That video has a strange, dream-like quality about it...even better without the annoying background music. I think we forget, as Paul Stacey said, just how crowded with people and traffic Brum was in those days. Great stuff!

Big Gee

ragga i enjoyed every second of that video...wonderful nostalgic brum at its best....

cheers

lyn

Great videos Ragga and Frothblower - brought back lots of memories of our busy 'town', thanks. Anthea

Froth and Ragga, great videos even though I don't remember it being exactly the same, could still pick out the streets and landmarks.
Thanks, Sue

That video has a strange, dream-like quality about it...even better without the annoying background music. I think we forget, as Paul Stacey said, just how crowded with people and traffic Brum was in those days. Great stuff!

Big Gee

I think the "Dream Like Quality" is probably due to it being slowed down a little to much during the transfer from one medium to another.

Thanks Ragga and Frothblower for those two evocative videos.
I've taken copies of them to show on a relative's telly. I liked the live audio in the 2nd video.
In the 1st video memories of how we used to jump on and off buses like the two women standing on the open platform of a fast moving bus going past the Passenger Entrance of Snow Hill station.

Bus_Platform_Snow_Hill.JPG

Ragga and Frothblower - thanks for the memory. Seems everyone got the bus in those days. That's the Birmingham I remember.

Loved this, but please what was the song called and who sang it, so very haunting and probably appropriate

I can almost smell the smog & fumes, note how a lot of the men wouldn't leave home without a raincoat to hang over their arm, I remember my dad was just the same

There is an interesting 1964 colour film of a drive around Brum in the forum post below if you have not already seen it ... might bring back a few memories ... :)

Back