• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

a day at the races bromford

I lived in Bromford Lane from birth (1946) until 1953. As well as the crowds, I remember Prince Monalulu walking down from the Navigation towards the racecourse in his headress and colourful clothes shouting "I've got a horse". To my 8 year old eyes he was trully a figure straight from the jungle.
I seem to remember seeing an old thread on him earlier. Here's recording (or so it purports to be) of him shouting his cry.
https://www.louisbarfe.com/monoluluhorse.mp3
And here's a bit more info.
https://www.communigate.co.uk/ryedale/carryonshowing/page38.phtml

That's a great picture of the buses waiting to pick up the people from the race track. My parents took my brother and I years ago and I got lost
in the crowds and my name had to be broadcast over the tannoy system.
Mom and Dad were not well pleased when they came to collect me.

would anyone happen to have the photo i posted on post 1 please..cant seem to find it in my files...

many thanks folks

lyn

would anyone happen to have the photo i posted on post 1 please..cant seem to find it in my files...

many thanks folks

lyn

Lyn would it be any of these that you were looking for?

Attachments

• Erdington Bromford Bridge Birmingham Racecourse 1963.jpg
    Erdington Bromford Bridge Birmingham Racecourse 1963.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 22
  • Erdington Bromford Bridge Racecourse.JPG
    Erdington Bromford Bridge Racecourse.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Erdington Bromford Lane Races 1947 ad.JPG
    Erdington Bromford Lane Races 1947 ad.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 26
thats the one phil..pic 3.. i did find it in the end but thanks for posting the others they are new to me..

cheers

lyn

A recent feature on the racecourse here too (the railway station anyway)

Was this near to where trains were shunted with Beyer Garrett locomotives, enormous things?. Something to do with the adjacent steel works I think. I know I've said it before but I never understood why the station was closed just when there was a large population on the new estate to use the railway, similarly at Castle Vale with the old "Exhibition Station"

Was this near to where trains were shunted with Beyer Garrett locomotives, enormous things?. Something to do with the adjacent steel works I think. I know I've said it before but I never understood why the station was closed just when there was a large population on the new estate to use the railway, similarly at Castle Vale with the old "Exhibition Station"

That was quite a strange decision of BR's, rather short sighted. I didn't know that Beyer Garrett's were used here, although one was used as the Lickey Banker for a very short period of time. There was also a tube manufacturing works here which was rail served. I better go back on topic...

Back