• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A Darlaston Burial With Handsworth Links? Can Anyone Possibly Shed Some Light, Please?

Nicholas

master brummie
An acquaintance has recently (via social media) drawn my attention to a particular grave in 'Owen Memorial Gardens' - situated next to the Asda superstore - in Darlaston, West Midlands.

The grave in question is that of Maria Simkin - born in Darlaston in 1816 - who died age 39, on December the 1st, 1856. She was the daughter of William and Mary Simkin.

However, the epitaph on the grave records that she apparently died in Handsworth, Birmingham.... and, also included on the stone, is the rather cryptic note: 'She was seduced by a tyrant. Let his days be few'.

Needless to say, that final line is something of an eye-opener.... and clearly stems from a much more convoluted story, it seems? I've taken a quick look through some (albeit limited access) newspaper archives - in an attempt to trace Maria, or perhaps details surrounding her death, that way - but have not been able to discover anything at all....... A 3rd party suggests she may well have been in serivce to what he lists as 'an eminent Professor of Medicine', or some such figure, though this data supposedly hails from something he read on the matter as far back as the 1970's, it seems(?)

As mentioned above, the matter was initially raised on a social media page and the scant details mentioned here are everything that page members could discover or suggest. It goes without saying that there is clearly a 'bigger picture' to possibly be uncovered - somewhere? - so I was wondering if authorities on the Birmingham History Forum may have possibly heard something about the 'Handsworth end' of the tale in their travels / research, perhaps?

Any leads, suggestions or information would be most gratefully received indeed.....

101603712_10223059353140202_6419024530215272448_o.jpg82506377_706119016822424_7851463898015203328_n.jpg

Sorry Nicholas, but nothing shows in the online newspapers for December 1856 to January 1857. Unfortunately seduction is not the same as rape or assault.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Do you know where she is on the 1851 census?

A death cert would give the cause of death which might provide a clue.

Thank you for your comments pjmburns! I'm afraid all that I know on the matter was mentioned in my inital post.... An acquaintance that carries out genealogical research has looked Mary up, but has only come up with data that was already known:

Maria Simkin
Event Type:
Burial
Event Date:
5 Dec 1856
Event Place:
Darlaston, Staffordshire, England
Event Place (Original):
Darlaston, Staffordshire, England
Parish:
St Lawrence
Birth Date:
Death Date:
Mother's Name:
Simkin

The one matter that she herself queried, however, was the entry: 'Event Place (Original)' which is listed as Darlaston? I believe she is querying the '(Original)' element in the entry? Also, is this indicating that 'the place of death' was actually Darlaston, instead of (what was previously presumed as) Handsworth?

Sorry Nicholas, but nothing shows in the online newspapers for December 1856 to January 1857. Unfortunately seduction is not the same as rape or assault.

Thank you Sospiri!! I have limited access to some newspaper archives (via Lancs. Library Services), but I couldn't find anything that might relate to the overall matter either.... I do very much appreciate your taking time to look the matter up.... Many thanks!!

It may not even be that. Perhaps the 'Tyrant' was Drink?

Yes, indeed Ken_R!! It had been suggested that there could have been a few, different definitions of 'Tyrant', perhaps.... but I had personally found the 'Let his days be few' line to potentially be indicative of 'someone', rather than a 'something' possibly?

Nicholas,

I would indeed agree with Janice's suggestion that you get the death certificate as that will also give the name of the informant, which could be the name of a doctor or a relative. At a quick glance in both Darlaston & Handsworth on the 1851 Census, all the Maria/Mary SIMKINs that fitted that date of birth appear to be married & I am puzzled by that. Did she possibly have an affair and revert to using her single name, or have I missed something?

I agree that the death certificate would be the surest way to find out but until then its an interesting puzzle.
Note sure if this is the same household but a quick look on Family Search shows a Maria Simkin (Darlaston) on the 1841 census with a estimated birth year as 1817-1821. She is living in a household with Zacahriah Simkin - a shoemaker. She is in the same household in 1851, Zachariah's status is now widower and Maria is showing as his his sister. She doesn't appear in the 1861 census by which time Zachariah has re-married.

I've seen from my own family research that birth years and ages can vary.

I agree that the death certificate would be the surest way to find out but until then its an interesting puzzle.
Note sure if this is the same household but a quick look on Family Search shows a Maria Simkin (Darlaston) on the 1841 census with a estimated birth year as 1817-1821. She is living in a household with Zacahriah Simkin - a shoemaker. She is in the same household in 1851, Zachariah's status is now widower and Maria is showing as his his sister. She doesn't appear in the 1861 census by which time Zachariah has re-married.

I've seen from my own family research that birth years and ages can vary.

August 1837...Zac

09BD2F9E-7CB8-4008-A1AF-1ADF123C9EA2.jpeg

To be buried in the Cemetery and to have a memorial may suggest that the family were not short of a bob or two.

Do the cemetery have any records of who paid for the plot and/or stone? If a relative it might help with identifying the family.

Everyone... thank you VERY much for all of your input and guidance on this matter!

One of the first things I did was write to the local church - St. Lawrences - as the burial ground concerned only stands just across the road from the church, etc. (I had taken into consideration the simple fact that the Owen Memorial plot may well have nothing at all to do with St. Lawrences, but - simply due to the close proximity of the sites - I'd imagined the latter might be a good source to begin with anyway?) However, unfortunately, I've still not heard a peep from their direction....

Once again - thank you very much all.... Greatly appreciated indeed!

Back