• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A Brummie Shot At Dawn

jonny

proper brummie kid
Dear all,

There are not that many Birmingham soldiers who were executed by firing squad for desertion during the Great War, but 17402 Private Frederick Broadrick, 11th and 13th Bns, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, was one of them. Born in Ladywood and a resident of Winson Green, he appears to have been a bit of a bad lad, although an effective soldier under fire. He had previously served in the West Yorks in 1914, but was discharged for insubordination after 56 days. He was conscripted in 1916.

However, I have slight quandary with regard to Pte Broadrick and I hope someone might be able to help please.

Before he stood before the firing squad in 1917, he appears to have left his worldly belongings to my great grandmother, Lily May Daniels (nee Darby). He declared her to be his stepsister and NoK, living at the address that he gave on his West Yorks service records - 39 Norman Street, Winson Green, Birmingham. This was my G.G. Father's (and Lily's) house for about 40 years. Having flogged through the family tree on multiple occasions, I am positive that Lily did not have a stepbrother called Frederick Broadrick. She did, however, have a stepbrother called Frederick Bache. If I'm right, then Broadrick either lied on his attestation by stating Lily was his stepsister - or Broadrick was actually Frederick Bache and the historical record does not reflect this - and nor will his CWGC headstone.

Fred Bache and Lily are living at 39 Norman Street in the 1911 Census, but there is no sign of anyone called Broadrick. Broadrick is a total black hole on any online genealogy sites and, to cap it all, Fred Bache simply disappears after 1911. There is a record of 'a' Frederick Broadrick of Norman Street, Winson Green, receiving 3 months hard labour in 1913 for 'being found on enclosed premises'.

I'm sure that there is a logical explanation, but I can't see it at the moment. It's all rather ironic, because I'm a serving Royal Military Police officer (based in Kenya as I type this) and poor old Fred Broadrick's numerous interactions with my forbears, were instrumental in his demise!

Can anyone assist please?

Yours, puzzled in Nairobi,

Jonny

Dear all,

There are not that many Birmingham soldiers who were executed by firing squad for desertion during the Great War, but 17402 Private Frederick Broadrick, 11th and 13th Bns, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, was one of them. Born in Ladywood and a resident of Winson Green, he appears to have been a bit of a bad lad, although an effective soldier under fire. He had previously served in the West Yorks in 1914, but was discharged for insubordination after 56 days. He was conscripted in 1916.

However, I have slight quandary with regard to Pte Broadrick and I hope someone might be able to help please.

Before he stood before the firing squad in 1917, he appears to have left his worldly belongings to my great grandmother, Lily May Daniels (nee Darby). He declared her to be his stepsister and NoK, living at the address that he gave on his West Yorks service records - 39 Norman Street, Winson Green, Birmingham. This was my G.G. Father's (and Lily's) house for about 40 years. Having flogged through the family tree on multiple occasions, I am positive that Lily did not have a stepbrother called Frederick Broadrick. She did, however, have a stepbrother called Frederick Bache. If I'm right, then Broadrick either lied on his attestation by stating Lily was his stepsister - or Broadrick was actually Frederick Bache and the historical record does not reflect this - and nor will his CWGC headstone.

Fred Bache and Lily are living at 39 Norman Street in the 1911 Census, but there is no sign of anyone called Broadrick. Broadrick is a total black hole on any online genealogy sites and, to cap it all, Fred Bache simply disappears after 1911. There is a record of 'a' Frederick Broadrick of Norman Street, Winson Green, receiving 3 months hard labour in 1913 for 'being found on enclosed premises'.

I'm sure that there is a logical explanation, but I can't see it at the moment. It's all rather ironic, because I'm a serving Royal Military Police officer (based in Kenya as I type this) and poor old Fred Broadrick's numerous interactions with my forbears, were instrumental in his demise!

Can anyone assist please?

Yours, puzzled in Nairobi,

Jonny
Could the name Bache have been changed because it is of German origin?

The origin of the surname appears to be saxon and there are a fair number of the wider family happily galloping around Birmingham, both before, and after the Great War, so I don't think that is an issue in this case. Also, when one considers the 1913 newspaper article it appears that someone calling himself Frederick Broadrick was knocking about in the City well before the anti-German hysteria really took off 18 or so months later.

First thought would be that you are correct and they are the same person and Broadrick is just an alias because of his criminal activity. For me the listing of Lily as his step sister and the address would be enough evidence to confirm this.

My grandfather had a cousin who did this. On some of his court records it listed his known aliases.

Court records may prove useful in this quest as it appears that Fred Broadrick was sentenced to prison time in 1913. Whilst hoping that they were Birmingham specific, may I ask where you managed to access these records please? Many thanks.

Back