• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A Brave Young Man

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
A Brave Young Man

A brave young man was called upon at just 18 to fight
His peers all gathered around as instructed they were told
How to fire their rifles and to charge with bayonets and be bold
All filled with enthusiasm they took their instructions to heart

Our brave young man was not to reach the battlefields off shore
His battle was to be much closer to home than that
For during that intense training and with boys without fears
He received a fatal wound inflicted by the bayonet of one of his friendly peers
For 14 days he clung to life… like a limpet to rocks to survive

However like many brave young soldiers who are willing our wars to fight
His life was extinguished and his memory to be lost in time
“Now don’t worry any more young Rupert for I will remember”
This brave young man… a boy I never knew for he was one of mine…

Pom :angel:

Last edited:
Private RUPERT BEELEY
Service Number 26888
Died 22/08/1918, Aged 19, "C" Coy. 5th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Son of Mrs. Margaret J. Dugmore (formerly Beeley), of 21, Camden St. Parade, Birmingham.

(Source: CWGC)

Thank you Chris, I do have that record in my files.
However until I manage to get Rupert's birth cent' we are unsure if Margaret Jane (Nee Beeley) Dunmore was his mother, or his older sister.
Margaret Jane was also the name of Margaret Dugmore's mother (also my granddad's mother) who died shortly after giving birth in 1899.
On th1901 Margaret and Joseph are living under the name of Andrews (not Beeley, or their married name Dugmore) and Rupert aged about 1yr is living with them under the name of Beeley. So we think Rupert may have been the baby and that Margaret his oldest sister took him in and bought him up as her son, or that Margaret had been pregnant to Joseph and Rupert was born before they married.
When I do manage to get his birth Cert' it should hopefully have his father's name on ... Enoch (both Margaret and my granddads father's name), or Joseph Margaret husbands name.
My dad never knew if he was his Uncle Rupert, or his Cousin Rupert, one of those family mysteries ...

Last edited:
Back