• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Workhouse Infirmary 99 Dudley Rd 1 Western Road

Reddi.
Prior to the 1920s 77 Dudley Road was the Workhouse infirmary, but by 1927 was Dudley Road Hospital. so the certificate is recording his death in hospital.
I will transfer this post to the appropriate thread

I am not sure whether this enquiry should be in this forum, if not my apologies to all. I have a copy of my wife's paternal Grandfathers death cert. from 1927, it would appear that he had died following an accident at work. The reason for my enquiry is that it gives the place of his death as 77 Dudley Road, Birmingham and his employer as Birmingham Corporation. As his occupation was a refuse meat grinding machine attendant, I can only assume that he worked in some form of meat factory. Does anyone know of premises at that address that was maybe part of B.ham Corporation, or where I could find out what line of work was carried out there.
His cause of death was a result of falling from the first floor to the ground floor of the premises and an inquest was held 4 days after the accident.

It looks like a case that would be reported in the Press, but difficult to find if you don't have the name of the person.

Reddi.
Prior to the 1920s 77 Dudley Road was the Workhouse infirmary, but by 1927 was Dudley Road Hospital. so the certificate is recording his death in hospital.
I will transfer this post to the appropriate thread
mikejee, many thanks for the prompt reply and action taken. It looks very much then that he in all probability had the accident at home. I can now tell my wife exactly where her Grandfather died. Apologies once again for posting it in the wrong thread.

hello reddi did you know that you can apply for the inquest report of your wifes grandfather which will answer all your questions...i just this a few years ago with no problems and if there was a post mortem you can get that as well which is also what i did..at that time there was a small fee to pay..you can either phone up the coroners office or email them...all the details are on the link below..hope this helps and good luck

lyn

Last edited:
hello reddi did you know that you can apply for the inquest report of your wifes grandfather which will answer all your questions...i just this a few years ago with no problems and if there was a post mortem you can get that as well which is also what i did..at that time there was a small fee to pay..you can either phone up the coroners office or email them...all the details are on the link below..hope this helps and good luck

lyn

Astoness, thanks for that info. I have spent part of today following it up, it would appear that as her Grandfathers inquest was more than 75 years old, ie he died in 1927, I have to arrange an appointment to visit the Wolfson Centre for Archival Research in the Birmingham Library, plus obtain a CARN ticket (County Archives Research Network) which will enable me to actually view it. To get that I need to prove who I am with one item containing my signature and one item with my printed address on. I have set the ball rolling so to speak and just have to wait now for a response from said Centre. Thanks once again for your assistance.

Astoness, thanks for that info. I have spent part of today following it up, it would appear that as her Grandfathers inquest was more than 75 years old, ie he died in 1927, I have to arrange an appointment to visit the Wolfson Centre for Archival Research in the Birmingham Library, plus obtain a CARN ticket (County Archives Research Network) which will enable me to actually view it. To get that I need to prove who I am with one item containing my signature and one item with my printed address on. I have set the ball rolling so to speak and just have to wait now for a response from said Centre. Thanks once again for your assistance.
I had a great great grandfather who died suddenly and there was a coroners inquest in 1892. I was able to get the file sent to me by post.

H- help needed please. I need to access workhouse admittance information. Does anyone have a link / help please as I am stumped.

I need to check the info for a possible tree connection [the trail has gone cold and I cant find them after 1861].

William & Priscilla Hudson. Priscilla registered the death of her father in law George who died in 1860 "From Death Cert Died - 7 Court Fordrough Street. Occupation - Sword Grinder. Cause Pneumonia [3 weeks], gangrene of lung - 4 days. Death registered by Priscilla Hudson of 2 court Latimer Street "

I can find a Priscilla Hudson in 1866 at Dudley Road Hospital who did of Disease of the lung 25/07/1866. Occupation Hawker. She appears o be buried in WItton cemetary. Im not even certain whether this is the right person. As there are no clues on the death cert.

In the 1861 her husband william was a swordgrinder and polisher and her occupation left as blank which is normal.

But after 1861 they just disappear. So checking out the Workhouse connection and would love some insight please if you can help.

I can find a Priscilla Hudson in 1866 at Dudley Road Hospital who did of Disease of the lung 25/07/1866. Occupation Hawker. She appears o be buried in WItton cemetary. Im not even certain whether this is the right person. As there are no clues on the death cert.
Have you tried contacting Witton to see if their records have any more information?
There seem to be very few useful records surviving from Birmingham (Dudley Road) workhouse. See here Birmingham Archives

Can anyone tell me if records of people in Dudley Rd Workhouse are available anywhere? I have been able to get my great grandfather's birth certificate and he is listed as being born there.

Would the workhouse be listed as 1 Western Road on a death certificate for someone who died in 1925 please.
Best wishes
Alison

Does that mean thy were really poor or was it the only place they could go? The cause is senile debility no P.M.

My 3xgreat grandfather died in 1893 and they wrote Workhouse Infirmary as he was ill from senilty, pneumonia and exhaustion. Perhaps they just didn't bother to write "Infirmary".
rosie.

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
Back