• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

92220 Evening Star at Birmingham Snow Hill ...but when?

Hi, Tony.
As a boy trainspotter I was one afternoon shocked to see Evening Star pass slowly over my regular spotting place of the Montpellier St bridge by Camp Hill Station. Unfortunately, like you I can only date the event to 1961 or 62. The engine was without coaches and was heading in the direction of Birmingham New St or Snow Hill. My fellow train-spotters didn't believe me at first, but one of them checked the loco's movements and it was indeed in the area at the time. I never witnessed it again.

92220 was shedded at Cardiff at the time so was probably a regular visitor
This is totally off thread but there seems to be true railway buffs around and I need an explanation! One summer evening possibly 1948 I was at Tyseley watching the rail activity. There was the usual late evening "double on the main" and the train was Snow Hill to Paddington. There was such excitement, the engine was a Castle Class 7001 Sir James Milne. I have truly remembered this incident all these years, ok I did a bit of research on Google to help my memory but why would this engine have generated such a reaction.

Hi, Tony.
As a boy trainspotter I was one afternoon shocked to see Evening Star pass slowly over my regular spotting place of the Montpellier St bridge by Camp Hill Station. Unfortunately, like you I can only date the event to 1961 or 62. The engine was without coaches and was heading in the direction of Birmingham New St or Snow Hill. My fellow train-spotters didn't believe me at first, but one of them checked the loco's movements and it was indeed in the area at the time. I never witnessed it again.
Good story; thanks. I am not alone with dateless Evening Star story.
This is totally off thread but there seems to be true railway buffs around and I need an explanation! One summer evening possibly 1948 I was at Tyseley watching the rail activity. There was the usual late evening "double on the main" and the train was Snow Hill to Paddington. There was such excitement, the engine was a Castle Class 7001 Sir James Milne. I have truly remembered this incident all these years, ok I did a bit of research on Google to help my memory but why would this engine have generated such a reaction.

Good story; thanks. I am not alone with dateless Evening Star story.
Good one. Great that steam can create such memories...and raise such questions. Coincidence...Tyseley was where I changed trains when going from Shirley to Snow Hill.

Back