• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

92220 Evening Star at Birmingham Snow Hill ...but when?

tonygst

proper brummie kid
Trying to put a date on my past! I lived in Kirkham near Blackpool, an LMS area. Trainspotting on the GWR at Snow Hill was therefore, always a treat.
One day (1961-1962??) I was at the south end of the station when I saw people getting excited as a steam loco pulling goods make its way from the north end of the station. It was like a Mexican Wave of trainspotters.
When the train got to me, I joined the wave. My records disappeared as I grew up and now I am trying to pin down what date this event might have occurred. It must have been in the summer months...school holiday time.
I know it must have gone through Snow Hill many times but I just wonder if anyone has records of this train's movements through the great station.

Cant find any mentions in the Press.
Apparently Evening Star was the last steam engine built by British Railways, and went out of service in 1965.

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum, I remember seeing Evening Star in one of the sheds in Aston or Saltley in the early 60s.
Have you tried putting "Evening Star" in the search box there are quite a few threads about it.

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum, I remember seeing Evening Star in one of the sheds in Aston or Saltley in the early 60s.
Have you tried putting "Evening Star" in the search box there are quite a few threads about it.
Thanks Brummy-lad. I have done a lot of internet searching but with no luck. My next search might involve the steam train magazines...often they carry articles by drivers, firemen, shed foremen etc., that have very detailed logs. Maybe I should have kept more detailed logs myself! Cheers

BR 9F 92000, an 86A Newport engine hauling a lightweight mixed freight waits patiently on the middle road at Snow Hill station. The big clock on platform 7 says 12.50 so 92000 may well have to wait for the Birmingham Pullman set to leave at 13.00 for Paddington. The 9F will follow as far as Tyseley Junction and take the North Warwickshire line to Cheltenham and onward across to South Wales.

BR 9F 92000, an 86A Newport engine hauling a lightweight mixed freight waits patiently on the middle road at Snow Hill station. The big clock on platform 7 says 12.50 so 92000 may well have to wait for the Birmingham Pullman set to leave at 13.00 for Paddington. The 9F will follow as far as Tyseley Junction and take the North Warwickshire line to Cheltenham and onward across to South Wales.

Yes, but it is not 92220. Thanks

Here is some info for non railway buffs.
,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_Standard_Class_9F_92220_Evening_Star

It would appear that 92220 was a Cardiff based loco at the time and was probably a regular visitor to Birmingham.

Good to know. Sadly my search continues. Thanks

It would appear that 92220 was a Cardiff based loco at the time and was probably a regular visitor to Birmingham.
But when exactly?

OK

Hi, Tony.
As a boy trainspotter I was one afternoon shocked to see Evening Star pass slowly over my regular spotting place of the Montpellier St bridge by Camp Hill Station. Unfortunately, like you I can only date the event to 1961 or 62. The engine was without coaches and was heading in the direction of Birmingham New St or Snow Hill. My fellow train-spotters didn't believe me at first, but one of them checked the loco's movements and it was indeed in the area at the time. I never witnessed it again.

92220 was shedded at Cardiff at the time so was probably a regular visitor
This is totally off thread but there seems to be true railway buffs around and I need an explanation! One summer evening possibly 1948 I was at Tyseley watching the rail activity. There was the usual late evening "double on the main" and the train was Snow Hill to Paddington. There was such excitement, the engine was a Castle Class 7001 Sir James Milne. I have truly remembered this incident all these years, ok I did a bit of research on Google to help my memory but why would this engine have generated such a reaction.

Hi, Tony.
As a boy trainspotter I was one afternoon shocked to see Evening Star pass slowly over my regular spotting place of the Montpellier St bridge by Camp Hill Station. Unfortunately, like you I can only date the event to 1961 or 62. The engine was without coaches and was heading in the direction of Birmingham New St or Snow Hill. My fellow train-spotters didn't believe me at first, but one of them checked the loco's movements and it was indeed in the area at the time. I never witnessed it again.
Good story; thanks. I am not alone with dateless Evening Star story.
This is totally off thread but there seems to be true railway buffs around and I need an explanation! One summer evening possibly 1948 I was at Tyseley watching the rail activity. There was the usual late evening "double on the main" and the train was Snow Hill to Paddington. There was such excitement, the engine was a Castle Class 7001 Sir James Milne. I have truly remembered this incident all these years, ok I did a bit of research on Google to help my memory but why would this engine have generated such a reaction.

Good story; thanks. I am not alone with dateless Evening Star story.
Good one. Great that steam can create such memories...and raise such questions. Coincidence...Tyseley was where I changed trains when going from Shirley to Snow Hill.

Back