• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

912 Balloon Squadron

JeanArchives

Brummie babby
Good evening, I am new to this site and hope that someone can help me. I volunteer for the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and I have an airman buried in the Kenninghall churchyard (Norfolk) he was killed in Nov 1939 and was in this Squadron, I think it may have been an accident.
Any help much appreciated

His death was registered Sutton Coldfield, 1939.

There is some discussion about Barrage Balloons here...

There's also a mention of him in The Scotsman (21 Nov 1939). Seems there was inquest but details don't seem to be given.

welcome jean...what was your airmans name as it may help...so he died in birmingham and was buried in norfolk?

lyn

Stanley Clifton St. Swithin Rolfe b1917 (reg. Wayland), d1939 (reg. Sutton Coldfield). Buried St Mary's, Kenninghall.

it may also be helpful to order up his death cert giving cause of death..it may also be possible to get a copy of the inquest report but that could take a little longer

lyn

There's also a mention in the Birmingham Daily Gazette (21 Nov 1939) and the Evening Despatch & Birmingham Mail (both 20 Nov 1939).

Can't see much from just the search results but the inquest was adjourned (to 4th Dec) so a post-mortem could take place. It also mentions he was in excellent health, so half get the impression that it wasn't accident more natural causes but that's just a guess.

Last edited:
There's also a mention in the Birmingham Daily Gazette (21 Nov 1939) and the Evening Despatch & Birmingham Mail (both 20 Nov 1939).

Can't see much from just the search results but the inquest was adjourned (to 4th Dec) so a post-mortem could take place. It also mentions he was in excellent health, so half get the impression that it wasn't accident more natural causes but that's just a guess.
maybe one of our members who is subscribed to the newspaper archives could post the report from the birmingham gazette

great mike thanks...bit of mystery surrounding the death...as said earlier maybe his death cert will help if not applying for the inquest and pm report

lyn

This is great, I would never have found out so much without all this help.

Out of curiosity I wondered what "dope fumes" were.
This is taken from an article written in 1918 about the use of "dope" in planes but I suspect it was the same usage in barrage balloons.
1629627646438.png
Although the use of the chemicals causing the poison were supposed to have been phased out I suspect that in some cases the substitute was also as toxic. Apparently it could affect the liver and kidneys - causing "toxic jaundice" - this is perhaps why the newspaper article in post #11 referred to the Father's statement of his son "enjoying excellent health"

The use in WW2 is referred to here

Last edited:
Back