• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

9/109 chestnut place , Highgate, Birmingham b12

Some information here:

Hi Mario - my step grandad, Bill Foster, lived at 9 Chestnut Place with my grandma
- we lived at number 6 in the 1960s. Are we related?!!

Chestnut Place 1966 ish as follows:
1 Adams
2 Preston
3 Baker
4 Hawkins
5 Dale
6 Wilson
7 Woods
8 Pierpoint
9 Foster
10 Dilworth
11 Eamus
I get a bit hazy after this but remember the Seeneys at 14 and Kitty at 17. The Doyles and the Foxes lived on the main Highgate Rd just in front of us.

The whole lot was demolished possibly mid 1970s for an interstellar bypass.

It was a happy childhood for loads of kids on the bombsite in front of our houses. Always lots of kids to play with.

Bill Wilson

Last edited:
Hi Mario - my step grandad, Bill Foster, lived at 9 Chestnut Place with my grandma
- we lived at number 6. Are we related?!!

1 Adams
2 Preston
3 Baker
4 Hawkins
5 Dale
6 Wilson
7 Woods
8 Pierpoint
9 Foster
10 Dilworth
11 Eamus
I get a bit hazy after this but remember the Seeneys at 14 and Kitty at 17. The Doyles and the Foxes lived on the main Highgate Rd just in front of us.

The whole lot was demolished around 1969 for an interstellar bypass.

It was a happy childhood for loads of kids on the bombsite in front of our houses. Always lots of kids to play with.

Bill Wilson
1 Was Atkins
12 Piper
13 Powell
I lived at no 10 Chestnut Place. We called it 10/100 not 10/109.

1 Adams
2 Preston
3 Baker
4 Hawkins
5 Dale
6 Wilson
7 Woods
8 Pierpoint
9 Foster
10 Dilworth
11 Eamus

Bill Wilson
Hi chestnut place on the Highgate Road was not demolished in the 1966 my uncle lived in the Grove chestnut place it was on your left hand side going up to the bridge it was demolished roughly around 1976 or 1977 my uncles names was Gordon stokes he used to work for Smith and Wallis on Highgate Road and in between Queen Street and the factory was facing the brewer and Baker pub opposite the no 8 bus stop

1 Adams
2 Preston
3 Baker
4 Hawkins
5 Dale
6 Wilson
7 Woods
8 Pierpoint
9 Foster
10 Dilworth
11 Eamus

Bill Wilson
Hi Billy, how on earth are you? If your who I think you are well I'm flabbergasted, you have a brother Ricky, a sister Margaret and a younger brother whose name escapes me.
I'm Richard, I lived at number 2.
Love to hear from.

Hi Billy, how on earth are you? If your who I think you are well I'm flabbergasted, you have a brother Ricky, a sister Margaret and a younger brother whose name escapes me.
I'm Richard, I lived at number 2.
Love to hear from.
Hi Richard. I haven't looked on this site for ages. Of course I remember you, your brother Malcolm, your dad Eric and Enid your mum.

What a great childhood we had - so many kids to play out with. And Thunderbirds of course!

I expect you are retired now? - as I am. I worked in I.T. for 30 plus years and still try to have some structure to my days.

Let me know how you are. Great to hear from you and apologies for the delay.

Bill(y)

Hi Billy, good to hear from you after all these years. Yes like you I am retired now spent 40yrs in retail management and my last ten years or so up to retirement in I.T. I also like to keep to some sort of routine otherwise I get bored silly.
Bob dilworth who lived at no 10 made contact on face book with me a couple of days ago he also remembers us well. Apart from you and him I've never heard from anyone else except Paul Fox who lived on the main highgate rd, he moved to chelmsley wood in the early seventies and came in the shop where I worked lost contact with him in 75ish as I moved. Will contact you again Billy, take care stay safe, lots to talk about the good old days so they say.

1 Adams
2 Preston
3 Baker
4 Hawkins
5 Dale
6 Wilson
7 Woods
8 Pierpoint
9 Foster
10 Dilworth
11 Eamus

Bill Wilson
My names Gamiel Yafai. I lived in Chestnut Cresent in 1966 as a 4 year old with my brother. I remember Gary and Trevour Seeney and their sisters Pamela, Janet and a few others I think we where in number 18. My family were there until 1976. But me and my brother were sent to Yemen from 1973 to 1976.

1 Adams
2 Preston
3 Baker
4 Hawkins
5 Dale
6 Wilson
7 Woods
8 Pierpoint
9 Foster
10 Dilworth
11 Eamus

Bill Wilson
My uncle name was Gordon stokes he lived in the houses on chestnut place I might be wrong with the door number I think it was early 70'still 1977when he left I think they get demolished roughly about the end of the 1970's bk then thank you .

Back