• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

89th Foot in Ireland

Barbara Ingram

My great grandfather served in the 89th foot in Ireland from 1847 to 1852.While in Ireland he married a local girl and they had a son.Please can anyone tell me where in Ireland he may have been based and where would I gain access to his records ?Thank you Barbara Ingram

Hi Barbara
It is Possible he may have been in Curragh Camp, Kildare and you can check the Ireland census for free. I have done some
research on the irish side of my tree. I will check my records and will get back to you with some web sites. It is hard to
do the Irish side as a lot of records were destroyed by fire.

regards Stars

Barbara, The 89th Regiment of foot was raised in1779, it saw service in Spain 1808, 1810, America 1812, it was also refered to as the "East India Regt", as well as serving in the Carribean, I believe it served in Ireland 1847 50, and was based in Galway, The Regiment later became the "The Royal Irish Fusiler Regiment", 1881,(Princess Victoria's Own). The Regimental Museum is Sovereign House, The Mall, Armagh, NI,BT61 9DL , 028 3752 2911, you may get more info there,
Paul

Paul,Thank you very much for that information ,Iwill write to to the Regimental Museum.He was married in Ireland and his son was born there would the army have records of his marriage and his sons birth.Do you know where I could obtain these records? Barbara

Hi Barbara, I have a little knowlege of this as my own mother was borne in, "Kildare", 1919, whilist her father "Constable George Adam, was stationed there in "The Royal Irish Constabulary", and all her birth and details were registered in the "County archives", I found the help and advice given to me were 1st class from the local Irish authoritys. So once you establish where exactly your ancester was born, then contact the authoritys in that 'local',
and they will help you, it may cost alittle money though.
paul

Back