• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

86 Great Brook Street

Skinnda

Brummie babby
Hi

The 1911 census shows that a distant cousin of mine lived in a residential home on
86 Great Brook Street, Aston, but unfortunately it doesn't give the name of the home.

Would anyone be able to help with this please ?

Thank you

David

In 1866 it was Ashted Ladies Select School.

1915 Kelly's gives 84/86 as Girls' Home (sister Alice Crump, natron)

Thats great. The signature at the end of the list of boarders in the 1911 census is Edith Isabella Smerdon and next to that (Crump) so maybe Alice was taking over from Edith

Thank you so much, that's a big help

The 1912 Kellys, which would refer to 1911, lists it as the Birmingham Central Mission, with Alice Crump as matron

Thats excellent. Thanks so much. In the early thirties Lilly went from there to Highbury Hall, Moseley, a "Home for Aged Women" and died in 1966 aged 92

Below is a map showing the position of no 86 in blue, and a photo with the position of 86 in the distance, marked with an arrow

Nechells Great Brook Street by Vauxhall Rd showing position of no 86.jpgmap c1950 Gt Brook St showing no 86.jpg

There is a recent thread concerning Communications Row, and a man from that address was charged with assaulting his
13 year old daughter. The girl was removed to the Girls’ Refuge, Ashted Row. He said he was grateful as he could not manage her.

May 1914 Birmingham Daily Post

Lyn and everyone. Just to say a big thank you for all the information you have given me. I only thought I was going to get a name ! but I got so much more. Just to complete the picture Lilly became ill at 3 years of age and as the census described her she was "deaf and dumb" so when her parents and most of her siblings died they had to put her in a home.
All the best
David

Back