• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

82 saltley road bookmakers

Tayadams1

I am trying to find any details on my grandfather’s bookmakers that was based at 82 saltley road in saltley. I believe it was called Taylor turf accountants and there was a second he had previously on Cato street in saltley.

These would have existed between 1961 and 1965 ish.

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I got it from my collection of Kellys directories. Some directories are available (at a charge) from https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/. Below is the street entry for part of Saltley road for the 1962 directory (which would probably refer to 1961 as date is publication date). He is not listed there in the 1961 edition , but is in the 1962, 1963, 1964 and 1965 editions in the street section, though, curiously not listed under the turf agents part. He is not listed in the 1967 edition. Could not find any entries for it in Cato St earlier, possibly becuase it was then a very small firm - sometimes I hav efound that very small firms are not always listed. I believe there were also legal issues before 1st may 1961

Kellys 1962. Saltley Road.jpg

Hi Mike

Thank you so much, that’s brilliant.

I am intrigued though at the legal issues?

Also, I must ask if there is any realistic chance of finding photos in your professional opinion?

Thanks again
Chad

I would never give up on a hope to find a photo of something, as new ones are constantly , though slowly, emerging. to help I show the map below where no 82 is in red. By legal issues I meant that before 1st May1961 it was illegal to be a street bookmaker, as opposwed to one on the racecourse. It was possible , I believe,, to have an account at certain establishments (like belonging to a private club), but not legal to just walk in off the street. However often the police turned a blind eye, so some places were well-known . however they would not be listed publically in a directory

map c1955 showing 82 saltley Road.jpg

Interesting that in 1962 WL Taylor is described as a Turf Commission Agent. In this case he may well have taken bets from clients and passed on to a "bookmaker,” taking commission. In 1961 No.82 could have been a dwelling.

Kellys directories have sections listing by Street and by trade. As I have said Taylors are not listed at all in the trade sections for any year. Turf Commission Agent seems to be the term used for all in the trade in the section listing firms by trade in the 1962 edition . However from the 1963 edition they are all described in the trade section as Turf Accountants. but Taylors are still described in the street list as Turf Commission agents.

In 1940, No.82 was occupied by Mrs. Bessie Walker, shopkeeper. So it may have been a shop.
However In 1962 Birmingham Telephone Directory there was a WL Taylor, Turf Accountant, at 82 Stanley Rd, Aston Cross

Back