• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

76 Lions! Plantagenet Buildings Spencer St

brianthelion

master brummie
Still creating a couple of post lockdown walks and one is based on animals in the Jewellery Quarter. Likely to end at Jewellers Arms (if and when!). Anyway sat outside the pub having a minutes break on this morning's exercise walk and was looking over the road at the aforementioned building and there's a Lions head and a Lions head and blow me there's 76 of them! That's the last stop of the walk sorted, however any info on the buildings and there history would be gratefully received. Off to do some online research. I miss the library! Usual grim mobile photos in bright sunlight but the dark blotches are lions heads...honest.
IMG_20200519_1048173.jpgIMG_20200519_1048313.jpg

Building from about 1871 (possibly as early as 1868), when owner was Richard Kent
In 1871 it was occupied by 3 people:
Frederick Braham , optician &factor (he was on site in 1968 but no mention of Plantagenet buildings)
J. Miller , dealer in precious stones
T Ingram. beer retailer
In 1872:
Frederick Braham, William Cooke, gold brooch manufacturer and Frederick Young, jet ornament manufacturer

Is that a stylised tudor rose between as well? Lion definitely on planatagenet coat of arms. Not sure about the other badges.

Is that a stylised tudor rose between as well? Lion definitely on planatagenet coat of arms. Not sure about the other badges.
Yes I think they are Tudor roses albeit stylised as you say. I hadn’t thought of researching th3 coat of arms to see what else might Tie in with the building adornments. Nice one!

Building from about 1871 (possibly as early as 1868), when owner was Richard Kent
In 1871 it was occupied by 3 people:
Frederick Braham , optician &factor (he was on site in 1968 but no mention of Plantagenet buildings)
J. Miller , dealer in precious stones
T Ingram. beer retailer
In 1872:
Frederick Braham, William Cooke, gold brooch manufacturer and Frederick Young, jet ornament manufacturer
Thanks for that. Love all of this type of thing. Cheers.

Brian,

I don't think we are going to be quite so lucky this time. It's a Grade II Listed Building and all the carvings are original. All lots of small businesses now and one has already gone bust and the space they occupied is being re-listed. No details anywhere about the original architects that I can see.

Maurice :cool:

English Heritage book on the Jewellery quarter book (from which I got earlier information) states architect unknown

Plan b I think the carvings May include “sprig of broom” linked to the Plantagenet heraldry.

Attachments

• 1A19F377-8AEC-404B-BBD2-EF57A079C1C4.png
    1A19F377-8AEC-404B-BBD2-EF57A079C1C4.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 1
Still creating a couple of post lockdown walks and one is based on animals in the Jewellery Quarter. Likely to end at Jewellers Arms (if and when!). Anyway sat outside the pub having a minutes break on this morning's exercise walk and was looking over the road at the aforementioned building and there's a Lions head and a Lions head and blow me there's 76 of them! That's the last stop of the walk sorted, however any info on the buildings and there history would be gratefully received. Off to do some online research. I miss the library! Usual grim mobile photos in bright sunlight but the dark blotches are lions heads...honest.
View attachment 145129View attachment 145130
brianthelion. I worked in Spencer Street at Hawker Marriss / Cavalier tableware for over 20 years, often frequenting the Jewellers after work, and I must confess I have never noticed the Lions on the building, (eyes on the ground I'm afraid) Thank you for enlightening me and possibly several others who worked in Spencer Street.

brianthelion. I worked in Spencer Street at Hawker Marriss / Cavalier tableware for over 20 years, often frequenting the Jewellers after work, and I must confess I have never noticed the Lions on the building, (eyes on the ground I'm afraid) Thank you for enlightening me and possibly several others who worked in Spencer Street.
That's what my walks will be about. People rarely have time to look up. One will be on animals in JQ and other will be people and faces. It's amazing what there is on buildings. Cheers.

Plan b I think the carvings May include “sprig of broom” linked to the Plantagenet heraldry.
The spring of broom is how the name Plantagenet arose. I arises from the latin name for the broom. (You may have found that out already). It seems there are two schools of thought: one was the spring was worn in a hat, the other broom was planted profusely as a hunting cover. Take your pick!
An most interesting building and hopefully more information will be forthcoming. I wonder what was there before? Maybe some scrub land with broom/gorse. :D Or just an architect that loved (as we do here) history? ;)
Lions and roses were also a feature of Plantagenet heraldry, the Wars of The Roses of course was a kind of family quarrel I think.

Its fascinating to see the unusual plat it’s on and shows how every bit of land was developed for profit. Just like all the new apartment builds. Nowt changes!

That's what my walks will be about. People rarely have time to look up. One will be on animals in JQ and other will be people and faces. It's amazing what there is on buildings. Cheers.
Picking up on Brian#s comments, I was told this by a window cleaner, when discussing work to be done above street level.
"The streets are narrow and the roofs are high". ;) In other words few look up.

A Point and shoot camera; you will have a lot of fun with that. Great for just putting one in your pockets and snapping inserting stiff as your out and about. The quality of these small cameras is amazing.

My two pieces of advice would be:

One, shoot your pictures in RAW mode if your camera can. RAW is like having a digital negative so you can alter the images with software and still retain the original RAW image.

Two, be very organised with your images when you download them to your computer. Have a filing system that works for you so you can find stuff. Its surprising how many images you can collects in a year. I have tens of thousands.

Alam,

I agree. Unless doing the tourist thing, few would spot these I guess. But it does depend on the weather in Brum. Here I would say that less than 2% leave their hotel pool !! :):) :)

Maurice :cool:

Back