• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

75th Anniversary of the D Day landings

Edifi

master brummie
Just wondering if the Television is doing anything for D Day 6th of June.In France we tried to book an Hotel for a few days in February nearest to the beaches was nearly 100 Klm ((60 miles) away .Duxford as got the Dakotas lining the runways for the Paratroopers to jump from.But nothing has been said if anything is on the Telly.Does anyone know anything

Just wondering if the Television is doing anything for D Day 6th of June.In France we tried to book an Hotel for a few days in February nearest to the beaches was nearly 100 Klm ((60 miles) away .Duxford as got the Dakotas lining the runways for the Paratroopers to jump from.But nothing has been said if anything is on the Telly.Does anyone know anything
Don't try too hard mate.
Teachers nowadays don't teach that sort of stuff.
I'm going to be excluded now, aren't, I comrades ?

I saw a film in which 'clickers' were used by American troops, but had the unfortunate sound of being similar to a German weapon being cocked particularly with a 'two click' operation.
Whether that is a true fact, or Hollywood make believe, I do not know. I was not there and I doubt anyone on BHF was to confirm this.
However, if true and it is said that they were a only 24 hour period of use, then I suspect there may be many lying around the fiels of Northern France.

I saw a film in which 'clickers' were used by American troops, but had the unfortunate sound of being similar to a German weapon being cocked particularly with a 'two click' operation.
Whether that is a true fact, or Hollywood make believe, I do not know. I was not there and I doubt anyone on BHF was to confirm this.
However, if true and it is said that they were a only 24 hour period of use, then I suspect there may be many lying around the fiels of Northern France.
Acme, (J. Hudson & Co.) say that 7,000 were made for US 101st Airborne Division. Their call for genuine clickers is here.
A clip from the false click film is here

So if we wait for your birthday greetings to be posted, John, we'll know we've missed it!

Maurice

There's a WW1 excavation Facebook page, jmadone, "Extreme Relic Hunters" and they turn up tons of relics every week. Same people who unearthed all those unissued dogtags a couple of years ago. I bet they've found some.

Maurice

There's a WW1 excavation Facebook page, jmadone, and they turn up tons of relics every week. Same people who unearthed all those unissued dogtags a couple of years ago. I bet they've found some.

Maurice
Maurice thanks for that but sorry I don't do facebook.
Jim

I wonder if the youth of today can understand or comprehend the sacrifice by so many, this week end in the states is Memorial day just another day off for some to sober up after watching the Indy 500 and the Coca Cola 600.

I wonder if the youth of today can understand or comprehend the sacrifice by so many, this week end in the states is Memorial day just another day off for some to sober up after watching the Indy 500 and the Coca Cola 600.
I understand what you say but you may well be surprised by the youth of today. The ones that grab the headlines are the yobs and thugs because it sells newspapers and causes sensation. The majority of young people I come into contact with are sensible, caring people. My children and their friends realise what sacrifices were made in both world wars by their ancestors and are proud of what they did. My grandchild, although perhaps a little young at the moment to fully understand what happened in the past, attends remembrance day parade with his cub scouts and proudly wears his great grandfathers medals on November 11th.

Just read a good article on the Normandy Beaches in the D Mail.Afather took his to sons to see the area were most of the fighting took place The Falaise Pocket (a lovely area of France been many times).He said his 3 children learned a lot and played a lot.But he said he made the mistake of buying them each a replica Cricket.The metallic clicker used by airborne troops to identify friendly forces at night.They have not stopped clicking the Blasted things ever since:D:D

Pretty stunning watching the Indy 500 pre-game,

On June 6th BBC One is presenting D-Day 75 from 0915-1300:

"Sophie Raworth present live coverage of the commemorative service at Bayeux War Cemetery in Normandy to mark the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings, a key turning point in the Second World War. The Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall and other dignitaries join veterans for a service of remembrance, paying tribute to the bravery and sacrifice of all those who served. Throughout the programme Sophie will be joined by guests in the studio, while Dan Snow reports from the cemetery, meeting some of the veterans who have made the pilgrimage to Normandy to remember their fallen comrades. Commentary by Fergal Keane."

BBC Two has the highlights from D-Day 75 from 1830-2000.
It also has the 1958 version of the film Dunkirk on from 1500-1715.

Holidayed in France for many years .But the saddest sight to do with the war is a little village called Oroudor- sur Glane in the Loire Valley.The Germans killed everyone in the village over 650 men ,women and children and burnt the town down.It still remains the same today as a monument to these people.There are rusty cars and sowing machines still in the houses.Its so sad

The Germans killed everyone in the village over 650 men ,women and children and burnt the town down.

I wonder how Merkel feels attending the event today.

She is sitting a few seats down from the Queen, Theresa May, Trump and other world leaders, and she is representing Germany.

It does seem to me the Germans could be particularly cruel at times in WW2.

There was an arrogance that made them think it was alright to use their U Boats to sink non-military ships, to drop bombs on cities and towns and to kill innocent people, and also to kill innocent people as they did in that French village.

ps. I do realise that WE (the allies) were eventually also dropping bombs on German cities and towns, and in fact in preparation for the D Day landings we bombed many areas of France near the coast (railway lines etc) and killed many innocent French people.

Such a sad waste of life.

Back