• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

726 Stratford Road Photos?

Peter Faulkner

proper brummie kid
I'm trying to find an old photo that might show J W Cook Grocers at 726 Stratford Road (near the junction with Formans Road). Joseph Cook ran this from at least 1911 to 1945 so it was around a long time. Today it is a hardware store combined with #724:
1641733000263.png
It would be wonderful to have a period photo showing it as a grocers!
Thanks, Peter

Here is a photo of Stratford Road and Formans Road...

...and there are many other photos on that thread.

Thanks @MWS although frustratingly the photo is pointing the opposite direction so you see No 720 and down! It's great to give an idea of the look of the road back then but I was hoping for a photo that includes No 726.

Unfortunately - I think the shop would have been behind the photographer on the right. I assume that is Forman's Road to the right which makes the corner shop 720 and the numbers go away from Birmingham. However it is likely the shop was similar in style.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Here's an old photo showing that row of shops, but only a distant view of the shop you're interested in .... which is just before the first junction on the right (Formans Road).
724-726 was a branch of Woolworth's in my 1960's childhood days, and I went in there regularly.

Sparkhill Stratford Road 4.jpg

Last edited:
Back