• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

7 Upper Hagley Road

B

BernardR

I have the above address for one of my ancestors in 1890. Does anyone know where this would be or have been please? A Google Search did not help nor does my 1949 Batholomew's Birmingham Atlas and Guide.

Are you certain of the address as it does not appear in the 1888 directory

I have the above address for one of my ancestors in 1890. Does anyone know where this would be or have been please? A Google Search did not help nor does my 1949 Batholomew's Birmingham Atlas and Guide.

Hi - All I have is a transcript of the letter as written by 'Eliza Read Nee Gill' to her brother Harry Gill that is all I know. Letter Dated 11th Nov 1890. I obtained it from my Cousin when visiting her in Australia. I recall seeing the original and apart from a couple of places is quite readable. Unfortunately my cousin refuses to join the computer age so it takes time to get responses but I am trying to rectify this through her daughter.

What it the name?

Hi - All I have is a transcript of the letter as written by 'Eliza Read Nee Gill' to her brother Harry Gill that is all I know. Letter Dated 11th Nov 1890. I obtained it from my Cousin when visiting her in Australia. I recall seeing the original and apart from a couple of places is quite readable. Unfortunately my cousin refuses to join the computer age so it takes time to get responses but I am trying to rectify this through her daughter.

Hi Bernie,

Don't know if this helps but I have just found the address 13 Upper Hagley Road , EDGBASTON - mentioned in the Birmingham Daily Post 1889

I have also found an article 1873 about voting in the Edgbaston Ward - it mentions different areas of Edgbaston by roads and then says .....in the Upper or Hagley Road part of the Ward the voting proceeded all day........
Possibly the address you are looking for is the Hagley Road but refers to the section of it that is in Edgabston???

Hi H&C and Pollypops.

The name is Eliza(beth) Read her husband who I feel was no longer around was Henry Read.

Thanks Polly so it looks as if the annotation is correct. Just got to pin down the whereabouts now.

bham_map1871.jpg

I'm afraid that I'm going to muddy the waters even more.....Attached is a map of Birmingham in 1871.

Hagley Road stops at the junction with Highfield Road and Plough & Harrow Road and becomes Hagley Row. (Now, I didn't know that!!)

If it really is Hagley Road, then my guess would be it is the city end, so number 7 would be somewhere between Highfield/Plough&Harrow Rd and junction with Monument Road. Most of the older houses from there have gone there now.

[I'm not sure when Plough & Harrow Hotel came into existence - it looks to me as though it is on the map - what was the address of that I wonder?]

The Plough and Harrow as it is now has been there since 1832 but there has been an inn on that site since the 18th century.

So, I wonder what the address of Plough & Harrow Hotel was in 1870s - I don't have street directories. Is it Mike that seems to have that sort of information?

It was at number 64 number 7 Hagley road was
Clifford William Confectioner
at 7 and a half was
Foresight Ebanezer boot maker
all from the 1870 directory

I've been trying to do an address search on Findmypast but it's not working properly lately so I put it into the Newspaper search. The New Talbot was at number I in 1892, Copes Car sales were at 12-15 in 1948.
The only Copes I remember was at the bottom of Barnsley Rd. I think farther up by the Park it was called Beech Lanes.
rosie.

Is this any use?
7, Hagley Road, Smethwick (this looks about 2 doors up from The Talbot PH)
Eliza REED, Widow aged 75 born 1816 Birmingham,Waggon?
Gertrude WEEL,Visitor Single aged 17 born 1874 Birmingham,Companion

I think that the New Talbot was on the corner of Barnsley Road (closer to town than the more recent Copes (where Majestic is now) and has just been demolished. I have a vague feeling that there was another Copes further into the town, though I may be wrong.

Now, (and for at least the last 40 years), Hagley Road becomes Hagley Road South at the 'Kings Head' traffic lights (by the park). My in-laws lived opposite the park at one time, and they were 11 Hagley Road South

Oh that is great. On the letter she had moved there from Lakewood in a hurry thus making her brother (my Gt Granddad) homeless.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

I have seen the part of Hagley Road between Barnsley Road and The Kings Head shown on a map as Upper Hagley Road. I thought it was on my Godfrey map of Bearwood but I have looked and it is not so. Only other place I can think of looking is the tithe map of Smethwick but I am not sure where my copy is. The north side of the Hagley Road at this point is in Smethwick.

Now, (and for at least the last 40 years), Hagley Road becomes Hagley Road South at the 'Kings Head' traffic lights (by the park). My in-laws lived opposite the park at one time, and they were 11 Hagley Road South

Sorry you mean Hagley Road West which a hundred years ago was called Beech Lane

:redface::redface: Yes, David that's what I meant - I actually wrote that the first time, the moved off the page and lost it - and then didn't get my brain in gear!!

David
that bit ny the Kings head rings a bell with me, but I can't find where I have seen it

Just to add a little background.

Elizabeth is one of the children of John Gill and Elizabeth Deacon Dudley who married at Kingsbury Church 28th October 1805.

Elizabeth Gill - Lived in France until she married Henry Reed (Read) and settled in Edgbaston.

Thank you all for the excellent informations. Knew I could rely upon you all.

According to my Wakelins Guide Upper Hagley Road B17 is a continuation of Hagley Road to Bearwood Road.
Hi Sylvia - can you pinpoint that for me please. I just knew I should have got to know Roger Wakelin better.

It sounds as though that confirms that it is the section from Barnsley Rd to the Bearwood Rd/ Lordswood Rd junction (or using 'landmarks', New Talbot Inn to Kings Head!!!)

Hi Bernie I'm afraid that is all the information it gives, usually they say something like 100 Smith Street to 150 Jones Street.

Back