• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

7 de Guise Seymours Variety Act

Royston

knowlegable brummie
Amongst my late Uncles papers are four signed publicity photos of a "family" group of musicans
The photos probably cover a ten year span as the family consists of a male in his mid thirties, a young boy about fifteen and 5 teenage girls. The later photos progress age wise with 4 mature young ladies and 2 younger men plus "dad". All are dressed in a variety of eastern european costumes and with various string, woodwind and percussion instruments.
The name is 7 de Giuse Seymours which could be a mixture of french and english names.

Does anyone remember them from the thirties / forties ? and confirm where they may have performed.
(It would have been Birmingham area probable the Aston or Birmingham Hippodromes)

Thanks Regards R0Y

Hi I have found them mentioned on this site - it appears some or all of the family were Welsh.
The site is seeling a book which it says it once belonged to the father of a Welsh family. He was part of a Family musical act called 'Seven de Guise Seymours'. They used to feature in the music halls from the mid 1920's till the outbreak of WW11. It goes on to say that the son eventually inherited the book and is also doing more research into his unusual family so he can leave his grandchildren a family memoir.
The site is: https://www.oldcooksbooks.com/master_book_by_let_search.php?order_by=&category=&page=8 scroll to the bottom of the page.
You may have something that the son is interested in, depending how many signed pictures still exsist.
Polly

Hi Polly
Thanks for your information, I will try the sites you mention.
I did not expect such a rapid response to an obscure question, once again the BHF membership comes up trumps
Regards R0Y

Hi Roy, The small boy you refer to was my Father. I have all his old paperwork including playing dates from 1922 up to the War. 100's of negatives and photo's, and lots of programmes. I have only got one signed photograph. The Home, when they were there was 30 Parkfield Road Aston. I would be happy to try and identify the photographs that you have. I have a number of the Large promotional photographs. I have also researched other members of the Family, none of the Seven De Guise Seymours lived in Wales, although there were other family members that did. For the past two years I have lived in Swansea.
Regards
Pip Guise

Hi Pip, this is amazing - Royston was looking for information on this variety act and you, a relative of theirs was already a member of this site! I can't believe how many times this site provides links for people.
What an interesting family you have. As they lived in Aston, perhaps you would like to share some of the photos/details with us, I am sure people on this site would find them interesting.
Who is the person in Wales that is selling the book - do you know them?
Polly :)

Hello Pip
Many thanks for contacting the forum, I was resigned to the fact that the only information available was as Pollypops had
found on the web. Its amazing that the group was based locally when they appear to have performed around the country.
I will copy the four photos (not very good condition) on to the computer and can let you have copies, and also put one on the forum.
Regards R0Y

Hello Pip
Photo attached

The only PARKFIELD Road that I can find in Birmingham is the one next to Anthony Road
off the Alum Rock Road. This is where my Uncle and Grandparents lived so there may have been a
closer connection than just my uncle meeting them at the stage door.
It would be great if you could confirm names of family/group members, were they all related
or was it a theatrical family name ?

Incidentally the Radio Times page that Polly refered to is in fact for the TV programmes, so the group
must have been some of the very first performers on TV.
Regards R0Y

Great photo Royston - Thanks for posting it. I wonder if they were neighbours of your family.

Hi Roy. Thank you for the picture, I have an origional and also one with the Family all standing in line taken at the same time, which makes dating a little easier. I would think my Dad is around 15 to 16 dating the photo to 1928-9 I have attached the photo which has the photographers name as Jack Thomas Swansea.
Your photo from left to right, Only son Charles (1913) on drums. Daughters, Winnie (Winifred Guise) (1910) background. Daisy Guise (1907) foreground. Pop's (Percy Seymour Guise) (1881) Olga Guise (1911) Sweetie (Margurite Guise) (1908) playing the violin. The fifth girl was not family and sadly I don't know her name. Sweetie went on to play with the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra for many years after the War. More info on early years to come.View attachment 51126

Roy. Further info.
Percy Seymour Guise or “Pops” as he prefered to be known was a soloist in his Parish Church at Aston in Birmingham before the age of Seven (1888) . At the age of Twelve he was soprano soloist at Hereford Cathederal. He lost his voice soon after taking up the Flute and at the age of 17 had joined a Theatre Orchestra. By the age of 25 he had Married Lillian May Worral (from Aston) and they were playing duets at local venues. (1906) Presumeably around Aston.
March 1922 playing as "The Musical Seymours" at the New Palace Theatre Birmingham is the first record found so far. By 1924 they were also using the name "The Six Musical Seymours" late in 1927 they were styled as "The Seven Musical Seymours" First known use of "The 7 de Guise seymours came in July 1931. They continued to use this name until the outbreak of War in 1939. So stylewise your picture would sit happily at the beginnings of The 7 de Guise Seymours.

I do have a picture from around 1922 on which is faintly written "The 5 Seymours" showing "Pops" and his four Daughters. L to R Winnie, Sweetie, Daisy, Pops and Olga, who occasionally sang as well as playing instruments.

Pip View attachment 51489View attachment 51490View attachment 51491

What a lovely picture. Where was the New Palace theatre?
I am finding this thread very interesting - thank you for sharing your pictures and information with us
polly

Brilliant photo's and information I too like Polly am so enjoying this thread.

Roy. Further info.
I have traced over 300 playing dates for the 7 de Guise Seymours, only one of which was at the Aston Hippodrome on 25th May 1931. Also from Birmingham was the Grand and Empire 1st February 1932 and the Empire on 10th May 1937. On the 4th May 1931 they played at the Majesty's Walsall and on 13th December 1937 at the Hioppodrome Wednesbury.
I have also found 30 Dates from 1925 onwards from Scotland, 20 from Wales 1931 onwards. 16 from Ireland 1924 onwards. 6 from Holland and one radio broadcast from Radio Antwerp in Belgium. The also played forView attachment 51528View attachment 51529 both the Kings and Queens of Holland and Belgium. I have attached images of Billboards from the Birmingham Empire and Hippodrome Wednesbury.
Pollypops, As for where the New Palace Theatre was I have not found out yet.

Hi
According to Kelly's 1921 directory it was:
New Palace; Theatre (The) (Moss
EmpiresLtd.nroprs.),Sum'mer Hill rd

Suzanne

the new palace theatre summerhill road/ickneild st...thanks polly for pointing this thread out to me...now there are a couple of pics....:)here is the first one...new palace theatre is the white building on the right corner..will just go and find the other pic...

lyn

There is a photo on the Palace Theatre Icnield St thread #2 also i think the building is on the "Areal Veiw of Summer Hill RD" just posted by Lyn. Dek been beaten to it never mind:D:D:D

Hello Pip

Thanks for the wonderful information on your posts

I have another photo taken a year or two later where the unknown girl has been replaced by a young chap about the same age as your father
This photo is inscribed "To Charles (my uncle) and Mom and Dad (my grandparents)"
and signed first names only, difficult to make out all the names
but includes "Love Always Daisy, Pop, ? ? ? family "

Thank you Lyn and Dek. I now know exactly where it was. As a small boy I used to go to the Monument Road baths, to swim I may add. I also went into the library a few years later. I seem to recall that the Swan Brand factory was somewhere near to where the theatre was. We had a tea set complete with tray.
Pip

More info. Not sure when the act became seven people. It is possible that early on it comprised of Pop's his four Daughters, only Son, together with his Wife (My Grandmother) Lillian. It is known that she accompanied Pop's earlier in their careers. Sadly lillian died in 1926 at the age of 41. The mystery girl, just found out that her name was Irene, could have been a semi permanent replacement to keep the numbers up. However Winnie Married a Edward Mowbray Irving in 1938 and he looks to have taken over irene's role as Pianist in the early 30's Picture shows Eddie on a Belfast Tram 16 Nov 1934
Extract from " The Performing Date Book 1930-1933 showing their date at the Hippodrome Aston. From the other entries you can see that they were no strangers to travel. The small x's denoted that they topped the bill. Sadly they only started these marks after the Aston performance.View attachment 51600View attachment 51601

Hi my name is john guise the brother of pip guise i live in italy and have just found this forum

Welcome to the forum John.
I have been following this thread from the begining and have enjoyed reading about your talented family. I am glad that you have found 'us'. Perhaps you have some information/pictures that you add to it?

Hello All You de Guise Seymour fans,

One last photo from my uncles collection.

The boys have now matured into young men and the young ladies into mature .... well ladies,
"Pop" looks a little older now but still very elegant.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, far more information than I ever imagined.
Regards R0Y

Roy yet another wonderful photo in this one they look very sophisticated. I can imagine them playing at the local dance halls I bet many of our relatives would have seen them too.

Can't believe its 4 years since this topic was raised.
Just found a website dedicated to this musical group from Alum Rock.
I think it has been created by Pip Guise who posted details on this forum.
It appears to be unfinished but never the less has a multitude of photos, posters, dairy dates, and theatre information.
There are no contact details so I hope Pip sees this post - Thank you for your dedication and time sharing your information
and pictures with us, well done, a superb job.

Have a look at 7deguiseseymours.com

Regards R0Y

Have just ventured back on the forum, looking for some info for my partners mom. Her married name is Guise and she knew that her grandfather in law and family had performed in music halls, possibly as de Guises, so am chuffed to have found so much info so quickly. Sadly her husband passed away 9 years ago, but she was keen to find out more. She knows there are links to Ottery St Mary in Devon, as her son was contacted some years ago by another family member doing the family tree, but contact was lost. I willlook at the website mentioned and show her all the info and thanks so much for it all. Pitythe photos are gone, would have been nice to see iftgere was a family resemblence.

Back