• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

7 Bearwood to Handsworth

Phil

Retired Layabout
Bearwood to Handsworth

Now this is a section of the route that I am not 100% sure of, so if I get it wrong please tell me. WE take a right turn at the Kings Head Hagley Rd and in the direction of the City for a short while before turning left into Barnsley Rd we go to the end of the road and turn right onto Sandon Rd and then almost immediately onto City Rd.

Attachments

Last edited:

DavidGrain

master brummie
Bearwood to Handsworth

Now this is a section of the route that I am not 100% sure of, so if I get it wrong please tell me. WE take a right turn at the Kings Head Hagley Rd and in the direction of the City for a short while before turning left into Barnsley Rd we go to the end of the road and turn right onto Sandon Rd and then almost immediately onto City Rd.
Cranmore Bros Garage and car dealership, from whom my dad bought an A40 Sommerset and I bought 2 Triumph Dolomites was not on the old 11 route. It is now on the 11C (but not 11A). The reason for the original route going via Barnsley Road was to avoid crossing the City Boundary into Midland Red territory. This did not apply when WMPTE took over the Midland Red routes and so the no. 11 could now serve Bearwood Road shops.

Lloyd

master brummie
Cranmore Bros Garage and car dealership, from whom my dad bought an A40 Sommerset and I bought 2 Triumph Dolomites was not on the old 11 route.
I beg to differ, as in the late 50s and early 60s I used to catch the 11 to school just down from there outside the gardens to the New Talbot pub, from where it would turn up Barnsley Rd then onto Sandon Rd where the next stop was by the gates to Avery's sports ground. In the other direction, there was a stop close to the bottom of Barnsley Rd, then the bus turned onto Hagley Rd then into Lordswood Rd where the next stop was situated.

Cranmore Bros 467 Hagley Road 1956.jpg

Last edited: