• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

7/143 High St, Deritend

negritaspider

TunisianBrummie
Morning all, and Happy New Year!
Does anyone know how to search for who lived at 7/143 High St, Deritend in 1932 please?

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Happy new year to you to. The numbering system of High st deritend and High St Bordesley is combined. It is just that, for some reason one part is called Bordesley high st, and the other end is Deritend High st. the number 143 comes under Bordesley high st, so I presume thisis the house you are interested in. In 1930 the occupants were Gertrude, Rachel & Norma Mintz. In 1935 there is no-one listed on the electoral roll. The 1932, 1933 & 1936 directories list Charles Mintz , clothier at the building. so presumably three of his family were living there in 1920, but ceased to do so by 1935. the 1932 electoral roll is not online

negritaspider

TunisianBrummie
Many thanks Mike - but I'm looking - in particualer - for who lived at 7/143 (I suppose that means house 7 back of 143??).
I have 2 relatives (Macquaker family) that noted that address when they married in 1932 (1 in Feb, the other Sept), although the mother is on electoral rolls from 1920 thruogh 1939 in Marshall St.....

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry about that. Got confused. There are no houses listed as back 143. However there is court 29, which would probably better be described as back n144 (The white lion is 144), but must be what you are looking for, as can be seen on the map. No 143 is in red, and 143 and 145 are numbered. Presumanbly the numbering in the court went from the road, so no 7 would be the one at the end (in blue).
The 1930 electoral roll lists no 7 as being occupied by Arthur Henry & Fanny Bevington , and Marris Balkan., and in 1935 by just Arthur Henry & Fanny Bevington. there are no MacQuackers in the court in either year. Of course they may have been there in 1932, but you would have to refer to the rolls in the library to check that (obviously difficult for you, being where you are)

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Not that it would be of much help in finding out who lived at 29 Court, but here is a photo of the court in question that looks to have been taken very early in the last century.

Attachments

negritaspider

TunisianBrummie
Many thanks Mike and Phil!!
Both Alice and Ellen were Under 21 in 1930, so logic not showing on electoral rolls....and as they both married in 1932, logic that they were no longer there in 1935.
So, no closer to solving the mystery!!
The name Bevington seems to ring bells, but gawd knows why, as I can't find then on my family files!!

carolina

master brummie
Sometimes people used others address so they could get married within the vicinity. I was speaking to someone recently who told me they used my family address for her husband to be as they wanted to be married at All Saints in Hockley. (They did ask my mom's permission).

negritaspider

TunisianBrummie
Hello carolina,
Many thanks for your reply - well noted, as Alice's new husband ( marriage 1932 to Lorton) lived at 3/143 High St.
But there is definitely a family link that has still to be found - As Alice and Ellen, both married from 7/143 High St in 1932 do not still have parental links! - So why the Bevington family - Ellen was still registered living there for her wedding in Sept 1932!!

jimbo

master brummie
Sometimes people used others address so they could get married within the vicinity. I was speaking to someone recently who told me they used my family address for her husband to be as they wanted to be married at All Saints in Hockley. (They did ask my mom's permission).
I am guilty of that "offence". I used a friends address in Marston Road Sheldon, with permission, so the wife and I could use St Giles Church.
jimbo